Director, Metadata Services
University of California, San Diego
The UC San Diego Library is searching for a creative metadata thinker with
strong experience leading staff through organizational, operational, and
ongoing adaptive changes.
Metadata Services is responsible for creating and managing the metadata for UC
San Diego Library collections. Included in the Metadata
Services Program's scope:
* Tangible materials in all formats (books, CDs, DVDs, microforms, images, maps, software, etc.)
* Rare books and special collections materials
* Electronic resources, both licensed and open access, including eBooks, ejournals and websites
* Materials in all languages
* Manuscript collections (personal papers)
* Digitized materials, including the reformatting of print for preservation purposes
* Born digital materials, such as personal papers
* Research data sets
* Systemwide Collection Services (Shared Cataloging Program and CDL Acquisitions)
Program staff are responsible for creating, manipulating and managing metadata
in these four databases:
* Millennium (for monographs, serials, integrating resources and serial holdings).
* DAMS (for digital objects except for art images). This is the backend of the Digital Library Collections site.
* Shared Shelf (for art images). This is the backend of ARTstor, used for discovery service for art images.
* MSCL ArchiveSpace (for Finding Aids). This is the creation tool for finding aids that are shared with the Online Archive of California and others.
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian (AUL) for Collections
Services, the Director of Metadata Services provides vision and leadership,
strategic planning and management for the operation of the Metadata Services
Vision, Leadership and Strategic Planning
* Provides the vision and leadership for the continued development of Metadata Services to foster innovation and collaborations
* Set the direction and maintain an environment that challenges and encourages staff to Identify and implement best practices and creative approaches for providing metadata analysis and resource description, including the exploration of transformative techniques for creating, manipulating, acquiring and linking to authority and bibliographic data, such as linked data, schema.org and BibFrame.
* Plans and coordinates the implementation of services and initiatives.
* Plans for the budget and resources required for the Program's success.
Operations and Management
* Provides broad oversight of program activities.
* Establish and oversee policies and procedures, and setting and monitoring goals.
* Serves as a supervisor of academic and/or staff employees including hiring, evaluating, training, and developing direct and indirect reports.
Collaborations and Partnerships
* Ensures cross-program coordination and management of staff involved in the implementation and delivery of program services.
* Evolves program scope, services, procedures, and practices to ensure consistency and integration with campus and Library goals and mission.
* Collaborates with other Library programs to fulfill program missions and carry out program activities.
* Serves as a resource to library staff by providing expertise in cataloging and metadata policies, procedures, and best practices.
* Advises on metadata workflow and workload issues for the digital object metadata work that supports the UC San Diego Library Digital Access Management System (DAMS).
* Provides vision and leadership in planning for development and enhancement of the DAMS and digital object services.
* Serves on the Digital Library Operations Group.
* Professional degree from a library school, or other appropriate degree or equivalent experience in one or more fields related to library services.
* At least four years of supervisory experience and proven ability to work effectively in a large organization. Proven skills to effectively direct, coach, and motivate staff.
* Demonstrated ability to manage, strategize and prioritize program activities effectively and efficiently, with a high level of flexibility to meet the changing needs of the UC San Diego campus, the Library, and CDL and the UC Libraries System.
* Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging issues, trends, workflows, and best practices in the field (e.g., MODS, PREMIS, RDA, and metadata design principles).
* Demonstrated ability to work and provide effective leadership in a collaborative, diverse, and changing environment fostering growth and development of others.
* Superior communication and interpersonal skills; ability to present and share ideas clearly and effectively. Demonstrated ability to build consensus and promote productive cooperation and teamwork.
* Strong organizational, analytical, persuasion/negotiation, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
* Broad knowledge of user-focused library technologies, services, tools, and best practices in cataloging and metadata.
* Demonstrated strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education.
* Experience in a large academic library.
* Experience with project management, including planning, communication, and assessment.
* Experience developing ontologies or taxonomies.
* Knowledge of archival principles and best practices.
* Salary: Salary and level of appointment in the Librarian series commensurate with qualifications and experience and based on the University of California pay scales.
Closing Date: Application consideration begins April 28,
To Apply: For consideration, submit applications to https
Please provide the following:
* A short letter addressing your interest in leading this program and applicable qualifications
* A resume of education and experience
* The names of at least three persons who are knowledgeable about your qualifications for this position
* A statement summarizing your past or planned contributions to diversity; preparation assistance can be found at http://facultyequity.ucsd.edu/Faculty-Applicant-C2D-Info.asp.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/13337/