Academic Technology Specialist for the Sciences
The Academic Technology Specialist (ATS) for the Sciences collaborates with
faculty, researchers and graduate students in selected Departments at Yale
University, developing, deploying and supporting computing technologies in
support of teaching and research. The ideal candidate will have a record of
innovation and creativity in making technology accessible, understandable, and
appealing to an academic audience. The ATS must demonstrate a fundamental
understanding, derived through personal experience in teaching and research,
of the ideas that form the foundation of scholarship in the sciences. This is
a job for a broadly-educated teacher and scientist with the technical
expertise and enthusiasm for digital methods in teaching and research. The ATS
will move between independent work, one-on-one collaborations with faculty,
and project work with colleagues in ITS, Library, and teaching support
The ATS will report to the Senior Director of the Educational Technologies
unit within Academic IT Solutions, part of Yale University Information
Technology Services. Yales Academic Technology Specialists work in alignment
with the ITS mission to provide world-class services and technology leadership
to the Yale community, and support Yales commitment to excellence in the
creation, preservation, and dissemination of knowledge.
* Maintain an up-to-date and detailed knowledge and understanding of the teaching and research interests, challenges and activities of faculty in the target Departments.
* Actively engage with faculty on a continuous basis on all aspects of technology as it supports their teaching and research. Partner with faculty on all phases of the teaching and research lifecycles, including instructional design, grant proposal preparation, selection and budgeting of technology solutions, and delivery of appropriate technologies throughout the engagement. Coordinate consultations and support from ITS units as needed, and partner with those providers to ensure the highest level of service delivery is available to faculty.
* Work closely with Yales teaching support resources, including Yale Teaching Center, Center for Scientific Teaching, the Science and Quantitative Reasoning Center, and the Center for Science and Social Science Information to partner with faculty on projects at the intersection of technology and pedagogy. Assist with selecting and budgeting of technology solutions, and securing external funds when appropriate.
* Provide the leadership and technical expertise necessary to envision and execute exceptional, innovative projects. Within the corresponding departments, this will involve innovations in technology-enhanced pedagogy and research technology.
* Research, analyze and evaluate potential projects; provide advice and consultation on technical matters relating to teaching and research technology; and design, develop and execute project plans in collaboration with faculty and graduate students. This may include a range from custom programming and data base methods to web-based application development and data visualization.
* The ATS will spend approximately 20% of his/her time in direct collaboration with an extended cohort of other professionals, including other ATSs, Library specialists, and IT specialists across the campus. These collaborations will be directed towards the development of technology solutions that cross the disciplines and bring value to the Yale research and teaching landscape.
* The ATS may teach or co-teach classes in digital techniques and methods.
* The ATS is expected to engage professionally in related scholarship through professional organization activities, publication and/or presentation of research.
**Required Education and Experience**
An advanced degree
in a scientific discipline, or in Library and Information Sciences.
Three or more years
of successful experience in academic computing, computer science or a related
**Preferred Education and Experience:**
A PhD in a
scientific discipline coupled with several years of laboratory and
**Qualifications and Skills:**
instructional, oral and written communication skills, and interpersonal
experience in supporting users of computer technology in an academic setting.
experience managing projects and bringing them to a successful conclusion.
Ability to manage a
A proven record of
success in implementing technology projects.
to establish effective, on-going relationships with varied levels of a diverse
faculty, staff, and students.
experience working in a collaborative research or teaching environment.
knowledge of Windows, MacOS and Unix/Linux environments.
with HTML, CSS or web delivery tools such as WordPress, MediaWiki and Drupal.
experience with database systems (e.g. mysql and postgres).
applications of relevant programming/scripting languages (such as Python,
popular scientific applications such as Mathematica, MatLab, Comsol, etc.
Expert knowledge of
digital media formats and digital media management.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply
online at www.Yale.edu/jobs - the STARS req ID for this position is 24445BR.
Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and
does not discriminate on the basis of, an individuals sex, race, color,
religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin;
nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender
identity or expression.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/12997/