Digital Collections Librarian
Columbia College Chicago
**Digital Collections Librarian, Library
Columbia College Chicago**
Columbia College Chicago is an urban institution of approximately 10,000
undergraduate and graduate students emphasizing arts, media, and
communications in a liberal arts setting.
The Digital Collections Librarian manages the digital assets and digital
collections of Columbia College Chicago Library and College Archives; works
with staff, faculty and students to identify digital resource needs for the
College community; acquires and implements new digital collections and
implements, populates, and maintains Digital Commons, the institutional
repository system. Provides expertise and advice in the development,
deployment, evaluation, and preservation of digital collections, digital
assets, and born-digital materials throughout the College. Responsible for the
maintenance of web-based access to local and remote digital content.
Participates in the evaluation and implementation of new technologies related
to digital content across campus. Oversees the management of the MDID
(teaching image collection) system working with faculty on content creation.
This position reports to the Head of College Archives at Columbia College
**Duties & Responsibilities**
* Recommends priorities, policies, and procedures for the identification, creation, conversion and preservation of digital content
* Maintains the digital content systems for archival digital collections and the institutional repository
* Manages project workflows for digital collections, faculty work profiles, teaching image collection, and electronic graduate thesis submission
* Ensures the preservation and integrity of College Archives digital material and collections
* Supervises and instructs undergraduate and graduate interns
* Provides instruction to the College community, classes, and groups
* Creates and maintains the College Archives web presence and the Digital Commons system
* Designs and implements digital exhibitions and assists with physical exhibit creation
* Creates and oversees the content for College Archives social media, including blogs and Facebook
* Works directly with records creators to advise on record keeping practices that will facilitate the eventual transfer to the archives
* Performs outreach duties such as engaging with outside institutions about digital workflows, processing strategies, and use of technology
* Identifies and engages the resources (hardware, software, vendors, peer institutions) available to create and maintain digital material and collections
* Creates metadata for digital material and collections in the College Archives, institutional records, and teaching image collection
* Assists with processing archival and manuscript collections
* Participates in grant proposal writing process and budget planning
* Assists with training and instruction on creation and use of digital collections
* Develops usability studies related to digital collections and access
* Collaborates with Library and IT to ensure hardware needs
* Engages in liaison activities with college department(s) including collection development
* Assists in packing and deli very of physical archival material and collection of digital material
* Other duties as assigned.
* ALA accredited MLS with archival coursework
* Demonstrated experience working in an archives or special collections; experience working in academia preferred
* Demonstrated experience of digital library/archives metadata standards and technologies
* Demonstrated experience in web development and authoring
* Demonstrated experience in managing digital collection projects and workflows
* Demonstrated experience with digital archive systems and automation techniques
* Demonstrated experience in digital preservation strategies, technologies, and standards
* Demonstrated experience with established thesauri and vocabularies used in digital collections
* Strong oral and written communication skills
* Ability to work with a diverse group of faculty, students, administrators, donors, staff and general public
* Must be able to maintain confidentiality
* Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
Strong preference will be given to applicants with 2 or more years of
experience using Fedora Commons, PURL, PHP, XML, XPaths, XForms, XSL, Tomcat,
or METS, PREMIS, MODS, VRA, Dublin Core, EAD, and DACS.
**Association Status: **This is a union position.
**DCFS Mandated Reporting**
In compliance with the Illinois Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act, you
will be required to sign an Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter of Child
Abuse and Neglect Status at the time of hire.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for
three professional references as ONE document (.doc, .docx, or PDF) at the
start of your application. Use letter characters only in the title of the
document. Upon successful submission, an e-mail notification will be sent to
the e-mail provided in your application.
**To view the complete job description and apply, please visit [www.colum.edu/EmploymentServices](http://www.colum.edu/EmploymentServices) (Job ID 900057).**
**Equal Employment Opportunity**
Columbia College Chicago encourages qualified female, LGBTQ, disabled, and
minority individuals to apply for all positions.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/13074/