Digital Library Developer at UIC Library - Chicago Collections Consortium
University of Illinois at Chicago Library
Join our growing technical team! The UIC Library is looking for a Digital
Library Applications Developer to help us build a new system with XTF and
Django to preserve, present and promote the history and culture of the Chicago
region (http://chicagocollectionsconsortium.org/). Live, work and play in one
of the world's great cities and join us at UIC, ranked 52nd in federally
financed R&D! If you're an experienced Web developer, see the full position
details and apply at https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=40079.
If you have questions about this position, contact me at [log in to unmask]
Close Date: 03/30/2014
Salary Range: Minimum $55,000
The University of Illinois at Chicago within the The Library seeks an
Information Technology Technical Associate (Digital Library Applications
Developer) to provide technical and programming expertise to build the
administrative and public interfaces of the Chicago Collections Consortium
(CCC) Chicago Portal using the Django web application framework. The Digital
Library Applications Developer will write code for both user interfaces,
participate in testing throughout the development process and work to ensure
that development is completed successfully within project deadlines.
About the Chicago Collections Consortium Portal
The Chicago Portal will provide integrated access to special collections
materials about the Chicago region at more than a dozen research institutions,
including the University of Illinois at Chicago, the Chicago Public Library,
The Chicago History Museum, Northwestern University, The University of Chicago
and others. The Portal will make Chicago history easily available to college
students, seasoned researchers, school children, amateur historians, and the
The CCC Portal will consist of an administrative interface built in Django and
accessible to librarians and archivists at all CCC member institutions. The
Portal public interface, also built in Django, will rely on the eXtensible
Text Framework (XTF) digital library platform.
Job Responsibilities (Essential Duties)
* Implement functional specifications, data model, and wireframe screen designs using the Django web application framework.
* Work closely with the Senior Digital Library Application Developer and the CCC Portal Manager to ensure that development is on track with grant funder's schedule.
* Write code to process large-scale deposit and processing of metadata files and digital media files.
* Write fully accessible HTML for both administrative and public user interfaces.
* Fully document code and processes.
* Participate in iterative testing and integration of user feedback throughout the development process.
* Other duties as assigned.
Any combination totaling two years from the following categories:
* progressively more responsible work experience in IT-related profession
* college course work in Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline, as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
* 60 semester hours or Associate's Degree equals one year
* 90 - 120 semester hours or Bachelor's Degree equals two years.
knowledge of web application development and data modeling, including skills
working with relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle), and using
database query tools.
knowledge of software development using Python or Java
* Bachelor's degree (computer science, information science, or closely related field preferred); advanced degree in computer or information science, or ALA-accredited MLS is preferred.
* Experience building complex database-driven Web sites with a Web applications development framework; experience using Django preferred.
* Demonstrated experience working effectively in a team environment and the ability to interact effectively with stakeholders.
* Demonstrated ability to support to a user-centered service in a fast-paced, culturally diverse higher education environment.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Experience with Ajax.
* A minimum of 1 year experience designing and maintaining relational databases preferred.
* Experience designing and administering relational databases built in MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, or Oracle.
* Experience maintaining systems to manage and transform data in multiple formats.
* Experience working in the context of a software development methodology (e.g., agile)
* Experience working with LAMP or variant environments.
* Knowledge of information technology accessibility issues and techniques
* Knowledge of library practices.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/12914/