Data Services and Collections Librarian
University of California, San Diego
The Data Services and Collections Librarian is the leader within the UC San
Diego Library for managing and providing data and statistical services, with a
focus on social science data. The position reports
primarily to the Director of the Library's Reference & Research Advisory
Services Program with additional assigned responsibilities in the Library's
Collection Development & Management and Research Data Curation programs.
Responsibilities of the Position
* Provides leadership for the management and implementation of data and statistical services and collections.
* Serves as the specialist for dataset and statistical analysis for research assistance, assisting in person as well as virtual users and providing in-depth research consultations by appointment.
* Conducts data and statistics reference training (new and ongoing) for other reference providers and facilitates library communications about data and statistics resources.
* Selects and manages datasets, statistical materials in all applicable formats, and statistical software to meet curricular and research needs of the campus.
* Participates in and provides feedback for data-related local and/or UC-wide collection management activities and projects, including assessment of holdings, de-accessioning and relocating materials as needed.
* Engages with campus communities, providing a combination of targeted or specialized services, including instruction, for dataset and statistical software users.
* Provides general reference and research services both in person and virtually.
* Works with the Research Data Curation Program to develop data curation and repository services for social science collections.
* Engages with campus partners to make digital scholarly work and data openly discoverable and accessible for the long term.
* Partners with curation and subject librarians for data curation outreach to campus.
* Serves as the Library's liaison to ICPSR and DDI initiatives and represents the UC San Diego Library at pertinent meetings and conferences.
* Professional degree from a library school or other appropriate degree or equivalent experience in one or more fields relevant to library services.
* Experience providing numeric data services support in an academic setting.
* Ability to download and transform data files to meet the various needs of users.
* Proficient with social sciences statistical packages and software, such as SPSS, STATA, SAS, R.
* Ability to develop effective relationships between the library and campus IT departments to further dataset management projects.
* Experience providing reference service in an academic or research library serving similar clientele.
* Superior organizational, analytical, and communication skills.
* Candidate must have a strong commitment to excellence in service and be able to work both independently and collaboratively.
* Demonstrated strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education.
* Undergraduate and/or graduate degree in the social sciences.
* Experience with GIS data and applications.
* Experience in collection development activities in an academic library.
* Experience with data curation in an academic environment.
* Experience providing library instruction.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/12936/