District Systems Librarian
City Colleges of Chicago
Reporting directly to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Management
Systems, the District Systems Librarian has two distinct roles within the
Office of Academic Affairs:
Administers and supports the District s integrated library system (Ex Libris
library management system), comprised of:
Primo, a discovery and delivery tool to enhance users capabilities in locating
library resources, and Alma, a library management service designed to
consolidate, optimize and extend the range of CCC s library services.
Functions as the Web Content Specialist for the Office of Academic Affairs
(OAA), accountable for maintaining web content and ensuring the overall
quality and accuracy of information owned by the departments within the OAA,
as well as the Student Services webpages on college websites. In total, this
responsibility accounts for approximately 1,000 webpages.
Performs related duties as required.
Integrated Library System
Functions as the project lead during the design and implementation phase of
the District s new Library Management System (LMS):
* Manages all aspects of the migration including database cleanup, customization of user interfaces, and testing and quality assurance.
* Monitors the implementation of all modules of the new LMS and the integration with other library databases and CCC systems, troubleshooting problems, ensuring library standards and expectations are met, and that technical issues are resolved.
* Serves as LMS systems administrator, monitoring the system to ensure optimal performance and integration with other internal and external systems.
* Ensures library circulation and patron access policies and processes are in alignment with new LMS workflows.
* Establishes policies and procedures for granting levels of access to LMS by librarians, students, and faculty.
* Coordinates work efforts with OIT to ensure the effective implementation and integration of various applications, (e.g., PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, Blackboard) into the LMS.
* Provides technical support and training to librarians and faculty, conducting workshops, webinars and other presentations on the capabilities and use of the new LMS system; provides individual training and support to librarians on specific issues or usage of LMS.
* Troubleshoots LMS system and hardware/software problems reported by library staff relating to LMS and other library systems and databases; follows up with vendor support staff and in-house OIT staff to resolve technical problems.
* Develops working relationships with OIT staff at colleges to ensure adequate technical support for library hardware and software.
* Communicates with OIT on districtwide issues impacting library technology; advocates on behalf of librarians and library staff on system enhancements and related issues.
* Generates statistical, usage and collection reports using LMS to provide analytics in support of decision making for library collections and services.
Web Content and Administration
* Serves as the Web Content Specialist for the Office of Academic Affairs and Student Services, accountable for ensuring the accuracy, relevancy, timeliness, and readability of information on the web relating to academic programs, policies, procedures and Student Services.
* Partners with staff and faculty to create, edit, maintain and publish web content and implements standards to ensure uniformity, consistency of brand and voice, and quality and excellent in visual presentation.
* Collaborates with staff, faculty, OIT, and other stakeholders in the implementation of the new Campus Solutions (student) system, setting up content and new webpages to provide information on academic programs and policies (i.e. program requirements).
* Monitors and maintains, creates, edits, proofreads and publishes web pages owned by the Office of Academic Affairs and Student Services departments districtwide on a regular basis to ensure information on websites remains current and relevant.
* Works with librarians to design and maintain library webpages for the colleges.
* Coordinates work efforts with OIT to establish and maintain site standards with regard to new development, tracking analytics and search engine optimization.
* Leads special projects aimed at increasing utilizations of all modules of the LMS (e.g. automation of library acquisition process); acts as a resource for librarians and faculty on specialized library software.
* Serves as a liaison to consortias, e.g. CARLI and NILRC, that provide shared resources to library members.
* Serves on committees, taskforces and leadership teams relating to information technology initiatives impacting on library technology and services; serves as a library representative on CCC s Technical Advisory Council.
* Serves on committees related to web design, pages, utilization, and governance across the district.
* A Master s degree from a library and information studies program accredited by the American Library Association (ALA)
* Two years of work experience in an academic library setting
* Demonstrated knowledge of standards and practices in the areas of circulation, interlibrary loan, acquisitions, cataloging and patron privacy
* Experience supporting and administering library automated systems
* Understanding of the special requirements of writing for the web
* Familiarity with link resolver tools and OpenURL standard
* Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/13741/