Getty Research Institute
Software Architect (Applications Systems Analyst - Senior
The Getty Research Institute (GRI) seeks a highly skilled, creative, and agile
person to lead its software development efforts. Reporting to the Head of
Information Systems and working collaboratively with departments across the
Research Institute and other Getty Trust programs, the Software Architect
leads a small focused team of programmers in all phases of digital library
project development, implementation, and support. Responsibilities will center
on repository development, access/discovery architecture, ingest services,
metadata transformation and reuse, web services and middleware, user interface
design and implementation, and digital archiving and
preservation. The position is a critical component in
digital project conception and implementation as well as full software life-
cycle development, management and documentation.
• Lead, supervise, and mentor a team of software engineers and digital library
specialists in all phases of analysis, software development and
implementation, software life-cycle management.
• Lead software development efforts to build and interconnect open source,
commercial, and locally developed software systems that drive digital projects
in the Research Institute.
• Write programs in Java, Ruby, Perl, XSL, PHP, and other languages in support
of digital library project implementation efforts; conduct code reviews on all
programs developed by self and team.
• Determine technical standards to follow and establish best practices for
maintaining adherence to these standards.
• Monitor and track advancements in the field; research, recommend, and
establish new technical strategies and standards.
• Develop new competencies among staff and expand institutional knowledge of
current and emerging development methodologies, best practices, tools, and
standards for software development and management.
• Collaborate with key GRI department heads in determining digital project
scope, technical requirements, milestones, testing methodologies and success
• Collaborate with Museum and Getty Trust development and infrastructure
• Bachelor's degree in related field; Master's preferred
• 8+ years software development experience
• Three to six years supervisory experience and strong leadership abilities.
• Demonstrated programming expertise in a variety of languages, e.g., Java,
shell languages, frameworks, tools, IDEs, source code repositories (Git, SVN,
• Demonstrated expertise with search architecture (Lucene, Solr, GSA, etc.),
commercial and open source databases (Oracle, MySQL, Postgres, etc.)
• Strong project management skills, especially the ability to deliver projects
on-time; ability to multitask and prioritize; ability to identify, analyze,
and solve problems.
• Thorough knowledge of current and emerging standards and best practices in
software development and life cycle management.
• Excellent oral and written communication and customer relations skills and
the ability to explain complex technical issues and processes to non-technical
• Knowledge of current library technologies, standards, workflows, and best
• Knowledge of intellectual property rights and open access policies and
• Knowledge of descriptive, administrative, and technical metadata formats and
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/13940/