Archivist/Special Collections Librarian
University of North Texas
This is a professional position in the Special Collections Department in the
Special Libraries Division at the University of North Texas Libraries.
Responsibilities of the Assistant/Associate Librarian including development of
electronic finding aids and website information, processing archival
collections, arrangement and description of both traditional and electronic
materials, contributions to exhibits and providing reference services for
special collections. The Assistant/Associate Librarian will participate in
ongoing collection development and outreach efforts in strategic collecting
areas including Texan history, photography and visual resources, LGBT history,
Latino/a history and African American history. This position will work to
create awareness, provide access to and preserve the unique, valuable, and
diverse non-circulating holdings of the University of North Texas Libraries.
Work is performed under general supervision of the department head and
principal archivist. Excellent citizenship is expected from the community of
scholars at UNT, and includes appropriate stewardship of resources,
participation in governance, cooperation and collaboration toward department,
college and university goals, and the ability to compromise and work to
benefit these units and their constituents.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Accession, process, and manage collections in a variety of formats in accordance with departmental policy and accepted archival standards.
* Create finding aids for collections, encode finding aids and improve description for existing finding aids.
* Assist with the duties of the library liaison to the History, LGBT Studies and Latino studies department by updating Lib Guides, providing bibliographic instruction and other types of instruction related to special collections.
* Contribute to digital collection development through the collection, preservation and description of electronic materials.
* Participate in on-going digital projects through the creation of original metadata.
* Assist in the preparation of grant proposals.
* Contribute content for the website, library newsletter and press releases as needed.
* Assist with the scheduling, training, direction and evaluation of student workers and volunteers.
* Respond to all forms of communication, including walk-ins, regarding reference and research questions from administration, faculty, students, staff, independent scholars, and the general public.
* Develop and maintain close interactive relationships with library staff, as well as university and community groups.
* Provide specialized and general bibliographic instruction, as well as instruction to staff and researchers, on the nature and proper handling of special materials.
* Participate in professional activities through publication and presentations in professional organizations.
* Ensure the security of the department and its collections.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/13958/