Special Collections Cataloging Librarian
The Temple University Libraries seek a librarian to lead ongoing cataloging of
special collections material. Paley Library is the main library located on the
main campus of Temple, a vibrant, urban research university with over 1,700
full-time faculty and a student body of 36,000 that is among the most diverse
in the nation. For more information about Temple and Philadelphia, visit
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Head of Cataloging and Metadata Services, the Special
Collections Cataloger creates, and leads other staff in creating, original and
adaptive bibliographic records primarily for print special collections, and
secondarily for other materials held by the Temple University Libraries. The
position requires production and editing of name and subject records and other
quality assurance tasks for all collections represented in our integrated
library system. The incumbent will:
* Create original and complex adaptive bibliographic records for print monographs and serials and for other special collections materials, as well as special format and other materials in the general collection, using multiple online systems in accordance with accepted local practices and applicable national standards.
* Maintain awareness of special collections and general cataloging issues and standards, metadata standards, and librarianship.
* Manage workflows for other Cataloging staff working on special collections or related projects.
* Work collaboratively with Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) and Cataloging staff to contribute to the creation and revision of procedures for cataloging special collections monographs and serials or other materials.
* Work collaboratively with the SCRC Coordinator of Technical Services and Cataloging staff, as appropriate, to perform quality control on descriptive and other metadata associated with SCRC cataloging and other departmental production, including creation and management of controlled vocabularies.
* Participate in quality assurance and dissemination of records to or through other national and international repositories such as DPLA and HathiTrust, using appropriate standards such as METS.
* Oversee ongoing work of others as needed or assigned.
* Participate in library-wide projects and activities and be active professionally. The incumbent also will be expected to meet requirements for contract renewals, promotion and regular appointment.
* Describe digital resources using the appropriate metadata schemas, as assigned.
* Catalog materials for circulating and other collections, as needed.
Required Education and Experience:
ALA-accredited Master's degree in Library/Information Science and at least one
year of cataloging experience.
Required Skills and Abilities:
* Demonstrated Experience with OCLC bibliographic utility/Connexion interface
* Demonstrated knowledge of current cataloging standards and data formats (RDA/FRBR/MARC21) as well as DCRM
* Knowledge of LC authorities and RBMS vocabularies
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and work effectively and productively without direct supervision
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
* Experience cataloging special collections materials in multiple languages, formats, and from various time periods
* Experience with serials cataloging, particularly rare serials
* Experience with Innovative Interfaces Millennium
* Knowledge of one or more western European languages: especially Latin and German
* NACO training/experience in creating authority records
* Advanced degree or other academic background relevant to Temple University Libraries Collections
* Knowledge of non-MARC metadata formats, standards, and schemata; for example: Dublin Core, METS, MODS, TEI, AAT
* Prior attendance at Rare Book School or similar training
Competitive salary and benefits package, including relocation allowance. Rank
and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To apply for this position, please visit www.temple.edu, click on
Careers@Temple, and reference TU-17716. For full consideration, please submit
your completed electronic application, along with a cover letter and resume.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the
position is filled.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/13965/