Canadiana.org is seeking a metadata architect to manage strategies, standards
and practices for the creation and application of digital collections
metadata. The successful candidate will have expertise in metadata stand-ards,
formats and applications, be technically-oriented and have good analytical and
communication skills. Ex-perience with XML applications, databases and various
programming languages, or a desire to learn these skills, is highly desirable.
Located in downtown Ottawa, Canadiana.org is a non-profit organization with a
staff of about 20. For more than 35 years, Canadiana.org has worked closely
with Canadian research libraries and memory institutions to im-prove access to
Canada's documentary heritage.
The primary activities of the metadata architect include:
* Analyzing metadata requirements.
* Selecting, developing and implementing standards and best practices.
* Authoring, extending and maintaining schemas.
* Developing mappings and crosswalks.
* Managing strategies for creating and extracting metadata during digitization and from crowdsourcing.
* Developing and managing a linked open data strategy.
Essential qualifications for this position include:
* Extensive knowledge of metadata standards used in libraries and archives, such as MARC, MODS, RAD, Dublin Core, METS and RDF.
* Practical understanding of metadata practices and applications in libraries and archives.
* Working knowledge of XML, including XML schemas, character encodings and namespaces.
* Understanding of linked open data (LOD) and data driven applications.
* Knowledge of Web metadata standards and practices.
* Master of library and information studies, archival studies, or other combination of relevant education and ex-perience.
In addition, the following are highly desirable:
* Working knowledge of XSLT, XPath, JSON and HTML.
* API design experience.
* Database development experience.
* Knowledge of OAI-PMH.
* Familiarity with Linux or Unix
This is a term position with an initial appointment of one year. Salary and
benefits are commensurate with expe-rience. Applications should be submitted
in PDF format no later than Friday, May 23rd 2014 to [log in to unmask]
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/14389/