Metadata Librarian II
Cadence Group seeks a self-motivated, detail-oriented, and innovative
individual for a full-time Metadata Librarian position. The successful
candidate will have experience creating and maintaining metadata, a solid
knowledge of established and emerging metadata standards, strong technical
aptitude, and the ability to work collaboratively and independently in a team-
The Metadata Librarian is responsible for collecting, preserving, and
presenting digital information in all formats, applying indexing and metadata,
and maintaining the Library's bibliographic and archival databases. This
includes metadata application, authority control, quality control, and other
duties associated with the creation and maintenance of item- and collection-
level data for a variety of print and digital materials.
As a member of the Electronic Library Systems Team, the Metadata Librarian
reports to the Team Lead and works independently as well as with teammates,
library colleagues, patrons, and community partners to develop and provide
access to information and materials that support the scientific and
engineering research needs of the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
• Employs emerging metadata schemas to make library resources available to our
• Designs and maintains repository collections using the Fedora Commons
• Adds digital images, video, multimedia and other formats to the intuitional
repository using XML metadata.
• Assures the quality of cataloging and metadata records in the ILS and
• Performs original and copy cataloging for a wide range of formats, including
serials, non-print materials, and e-resources, using traditional cataloging
principles and practices to input records into OCLC and the local ILS,
• Stays abreast of new developments relevant to metadata, cataloging, and
• Serves as a resource person concerning metadata, database maintenance,
record loading, workflow issues, cataloging, and
• Maintains statistics and produces monthly reports.
• Master's degree in library/information science, archives administration, or
other relevant field from an accredited program.
• Demonstrated knowledge of file formats, media migration, metadata, database
management, and digitization techniques.
• Knowledge of and recent experience with established and emerging national
and international standards relating to metadata and classification.
• Experience with one or more metadata schemas (Dublin Core, MODS, METS, EAD)
or tools (XML, XSLT, XQuery, RDF, OAI/PMH, etc.).
• Experience with a repository system such as Fedora Commons and an XML editor
such as Oxygen desirable.
• Knowledge of electronic and traditional cataloging standards (AACR2R, LC
classification, LCSH, MARC formats) and familiarity with emerging standards
(FRBR and RDA).
• Knowledge of Drupal or similar content management systems desirable.
• Experience cataloging book and non-book formats in an automated environment
using OCLC and an ILS, such as SirsiDynix Unicorn.
• Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with
Cadence Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer,
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/14369/