Lead System Administrator
As a **Principal System Administrator** at ProQuest, you will be an integral
part of a highly focused team responsible for maintaining and supporting
multi-tiered applications that enable librarians, academic researchers, and
vendors to efficiently manage, provide, and use their e-resources.
Based in our Fremont office, the Principal System Administrator will apply
strong IT and Technology skills to troubleshoot and address issues across a
variety of mission critical internal and customer facing systems.
Additionally, The Principal System Administrator will manage, mentor, and/or
supervise a small team of other IT/Operations professionals as necessary.
We are seeking a proactive, efficient professional and leader who naturally
demonstrates and embodies our core values of collaboration, empowerment,
accountability, customer focus, passion, and learning.
**Some of what you'll be doing:**
* Work with product, development, and infrastructure teams to architect, build and maintain systems for new applications
* Work with development and infrastructure teams to enhance high availability of existing applications.
* Administer and troubleshoot complex Linux and Windows environments.
* Troubleshoot complex system applications - both internal and external issues at a high level of proficiency and independence
* Manage high availability systems in an Application Service Provider environment where downtime is not an option.
* Proactively monitors and looks for problem areas in our applications and suggests and drives resolution of them.
* Manage, supervise and mentor direct and indirect reports
* Help IT/Ops manager proactively identify and remove roadblocks both technical and administrative
* Support budgetary evaluation, help price and identify system and environmental components, and assist with administrative ordering functions
**What you'll have experience doing:**
* Over 5 years of experience in a similar role and B.S or M.S. degree in Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent work experience in technical field.
* Expert ability to troubleshoot complex network and application issues spanning across applications, operating systems, networking and storage
* Strong fundamental understanding of networking and storage
* Must be security minded, with an excellent understanding of network/host security fundamentals
* Expert level experience administering Linux environments
* Expert level experience with configuration management frameworks and solutions (Puppet, Chef, CFEngine)
* Expert level Experience with Java application servers (Tomcat, JBoss, etc.) and JVM monitoring and tuning.
* Strong Experience with system, network and application monitoring frameworks and solutions (Nagios, OpsView, Splunk)
* Strong Experience with Cloud providers (AWS)
* Experience with Search applications (SOLR)
* Ability to work non-standard hours on occasion
* Experience working with Windows IIS
* Experience working with Microsoft SQL Server
* Experience working with continuous integration and build systems, automated deployments.
* Experience working with geographically dispersed teams and data centers
* Experience managing, supervising, and/or mentoring teams of 1-8 people
**Here's what you want to know about the Seattle office**
_Fantastic people:_ Where smart is the norm and unique is
_Fun location:_ Coffee houses, restaurants and right across
the street from Fremont's best pub
_Great benefits:_ Plus some unique stuff like monthly
transportation subsidy, on-site events, flexible scheduling and wellness
_Awesome office environment_: Nice office, jeans are the
norm and (well behaved) Fido is welcome
_Amazing company:_ Annual compensation reviews, generous
bonuses, and active "Green Team" and good morale
_ProQuest _connects people with vetted, reliable information. We provide
seamless access to and navigation of more than 125 billion digital pages of
the world's scholarship, delivering it to the desktop and into the workflow of
serious researchers in multiple fields, from arts, literature, and social
science to general reference, business, science, technology, and medicine. The
company is currently rolling out the all-new ProQuest® platform, which moves
beyond navigation to empower researchers to use, create, and share content--
accelerating research productivity.
If this position isn't quite your fit, check out our other positions posted on
our "Career" page under About Us. ProQuest's corporate
office is located in Ann Arbor, MI. www.Proquest.com
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/14372/