Digital Production Librarian
University of North Texas
**_JOB SUMMARY/BASIC FUNCTION:_**
The Digital Projects Unit supports the UNT Libraries with guidance and digital
services including imaging, archival storage of electronic files, metadata
development, and other activities as needed. Within the
Unit, four full-time Digital Projects Lab staff members manage a large number
of concurrent projects and employ 25 part-time student assistants to prepare
content for the UNT Libraries' Digital Collections--including The Portal to
Texas History and the UNT Digital Library.
The Digital Production Librarian is responsible for the general operation of
the Digital Projects Lab and works to complete internally- and externally-
funded digitization projects in a cost effective manner with high-quality
output. The librarian will collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
to plan, coordinate, and execute digitization and other digital projects as
part of the mission of the UNT Libraries. The librarian will also work closely
with other teams and units within the Digital Libraries Division to improve
online tools and processes needed by the Lab. The librarian exercises broad
independent judgment and authority under the direction of the Digital Projects
Unit Head. The librarian serves on library committees and work groups as
assigned. Excellent citizenship is expected from the community of scholars at
UNT and includes appropriate stewardship of resources; participation in
governance; cooperation and collaboration toward department, college, and
university goals; and the ability to compromise and work to benefit these
units and their constituents.
_**Specific Position Responsibilities:**_
* Responsible for the overall activities of the Digital Projects Lab including digitization and quality control activities, training, and digital projects development.
* Evaluates operations of the Digital Projects Lab to make best use of technology and staff, including prioritization of projects.
* Works with digitization software and hardware vendors to ensure that hardware and software are performing optimally.
* Works with the Libraries' Technology and Computer Operations Department to plan and execute workstation and computer upgrades.
* Provides training for students, staff, and librarians related to digital imaging workflows and digital project management.
* Collaborates with the Project Development Librarian in External Relations to schedule, manage, and complete digitization projects involving external partners for The Portal to Texas History.
* Collaborates with stakeholders throughout the Libraries to develop digitization projects for inclusion in the UNT Libraries' Digital Collections.
* Fosters positive relations with faculty, students, and staff and promotes the University's and Libraries' commitment to diversity.
* Remains active professionally and contributes to scholarship in the field.
* Education: ALA-accredited master's degree in library or information sciences, or an international equivalent.
* Knowledge of current issues in digital libraries.
* Demonstrated ability to manage digital projects from start to completion.
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
* Demonstrated ability to adjust priorities, manage time wisely, and make quick, effective decisions in a fast-paced environment.
* Demonstrated aptitude for thinking creatively and producing training materials, workshops, conference presentations, and publications.
* Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to establish positive and productive collaborations with Libraries' departments and divisions.
* 1 year supervisory experience, preferably in an academic environment.
* Knowledge of national standards and best practices for digitization and metadata.
* Familiarity with image editing software such as Photoshop.
Librarian rank will be determined by the Library Personnel Affairs Committee
through review of the selected candidate's education, experience, scholarly
and professional involvement, and service. Complete information about
Librarian rank can be found at
_**SALARY/RANK:**_ Salary commensurate with rank and experience.
**_APPLICATION PROCEDURES:_** Submit online application to the following URL: https://facultyjobs.unt.edu.
UNT is an AA/ADA/EOE
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/15160/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/