Canadiana.org is looking for an experienced Linux/Unix system administrator to
join its systems team to help it grow and maintain its technology
infrastructure in order to meet the demands of its current and future
Canadiana.org is a non-profit organization with a full time staff of abour 25.
Its mandate is to digitize, preserve and provide access to Canada's
documentary heritage. Located in downtown Ottawa, Canada, Canadiana.org has
worked closely with the Canadian research library and memory institution
community for over 35 years.
The Linux administrator is responsible for building, managing and supporting
Canadiana.org's IT services and network structure. The network infrastructure
consists primarily of Linux servers with some additional non-Linux hardware
and software (Microsoft, Cisco, Apple) and a combination of Windows, Linux and
Macintosh desktop computers and workstations. The primary activities of the
Linux administrator include:
* Planning, building, monitoring and maintaining LAN and WAN architecture and services.
* Assessing hardware requirements and planning for expansion and growth.
* Administering applications and services.
* Monitoring and optimizing server and application performance.
* Managing data storage and repositories.
* Building and maintaining tools and scripts.
* Providing technical support to staff.
Candidates must be have good communication skills. A significant capability
for creativity and self-direction is expected. A university degree in computer
science or similar discipline, or relevant experience is required. A qualified
candidate will have a broad knowledge of Linux system administration and the
LAMP application stack, TCP/IP networking, common Internet services and
protocols, and will have practical experience with at least some of the
* Shell and/or Perl scripting
* MySQL or other relational databases
* Solr and Jetty or other servlet containers
* Backup, restore and disaster recovery
* Large volume data storage
* System performance tuning
* Router and switch administration
* JBOD and RAID
* Windows administration
* Windows and MacOS desktop support
Occasional travel and work outside of normal business hours is required. This
position requires some lifting and moving of heavy equipment (up to 25 kg). A
valid driver's license and the ability to communicate in both French and
English are desirable assets. All applicants must be current residents of
Canada and must hold or be eligible to hold Public Works and Government
Services Canada reliability status. Experience with library services,
digitization and metadata is desirable.
**Application and Details**
This is a full time position with an initial one year term of appointment.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience. Please send resumes and
inquiries to [log in to unmask] Applications should be submitted by Friday,
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/14956/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/