Head, Information Technology & Associate Head, Academic Technology
North Carolina State University
The NCSU Libraries has a well-earned reputation for creating adventurous
library spaces and innovative services that delight today's students and
researchers. The new James B. Hunt Jr. Library, located on NC State's
Centennial Campus, is an iconic building, a place where people gather to
explore new ways to research, learn, experiment, and collaborate. The Hunt
Library provides a platform to support research, teaching, and learning, and
offers faculty and students access to advanced technologies, such as large-
scale display, ultra-HD imagery, and multi-touch computing. The D. H. Hill
Library combines the best of tradition and innovation, housing special
collections and a beautiful gallery alongside vibrant, experiential spaces
such as the Learning Commons, Technology Sandbox, and Visualization Studio.
Plans for the future include continued development of technology-rich spaces
to bring advanced capabilities to users of the Hill Library. If you are a
person who would like to provide a new generation of library users with
everything they can imagine and more, consider applying for this position.
The NCSU Libraries invites applications and nominations for the position of
Head, Information Technology. In the year since the Hunt Library opened, it
has garnered numerous awards and international interest, particularly for its
far-reaching vision to chart a new path for research libraries in support of
research and learning. Hunt has already had a dramatic impact at NC State as
well, through the diverse uses of its spaces, including the Teaching and
Visualization Lab, Creativity Studio, Immersion Theater, and Media Production
Studios, and development of new research tied to the building's capabilities.
The Head, IT, as the library's chief technology strategist, plays a leadership
role in enabling Hunt to realize fully its potential as an overarching model
of innovation and to extend this vision into the future throughout the NCSU
The Information Technology department includes 22 staff across four units:
Discovery Systems and Applications; Academic Technology; Technology Services;
and Enterprise Operations.
* Leads a service-oriented program that develops, supports, and extends information and academic technology solutions for the Libraries
* Manages the department, including planning, budget, policy, and personnel matters
* Guides the design and architecture of library applications and infrastructure
* Collaborates with faculty on the strategic direction and continuous development of the library's research infrastructure
* Provides leadership in coordinating and defining technology requirements for library-wide projects and initiatives
* Oversees IT-managed budgets, IT procurement, and inventory
* Ensures effective, sustainable operation of information systems and infrastructure
* Cultivates and engages with Hunt Library "Powered By" Technology partners
* Participates in library planning and policy-making; serves on library-wide committees, task forces, and teams, including Management Council
* Serves as staff to the Libraries' Technology Advisory Board
* Represents the Libraries in the university Campus IT Directors community
The Head reports to the Associate Director for the Digital Library.
NCSU librarians are expected to be active professionally and to contribute to
developments in the field.
ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent advanced degree. Minimum 5 years' relevant
professional experience. Supervisory experience. Experience with library
technologies and technology planning; demonstrated knowledge of current
technology trends. Demonstrated project management experience. Excellent
interpersonal skills; ability to communicate clearly, knowledgeably, and
personably, orally and in writing. Ability to work independently and in a team
environment. Ability to set priorities effectively and resolve competing
demands in an atmosphere of fast-paced change. Evidence of leadership and
management ability. Demonstrated record of ongoing professional development.
Relevant experience in an academic research library.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/14911/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/