Linux / VMware Systems Administrator
North Carolina State University
The Linux / VMware Systems Administrator (State of NC classification: Systems
Programmer/Specialist, position number 00104032) serves as the virtualization
architect for the NCSU Libraries, including management, monitoring, and
performance optimization for the virtual server and virtual desktop
environment. This position will primarily be responsible for the creation and
management of Linux servers, although the NCSU Libraries computing environment
does include some Windows servers. Duties include monitoring of server
performance, load, and storage limits, troubleshooting problems between
servers and applications, and disaster recovery planning. This position is
supports a relatively complex application development environment within the
Libraries--working with developers to install, configure, and maintain
infrastructural software such as Apache httpd, Apache Tomcat, PHP, and
Shibboleth. Also serves as the primary database administrator, with an
emphasis on supporting MySQL and Oracle.
We support a broad computing environment with a wide variety of technologies,
and we are looking for someone who enjoys working with this diversity and is
willing to dig into new areas as frequently as needed.
● Significant systems administration experience with Linux and Windows
● Significant experience working with both virtual servers and virtual
● Experience managing multi-database MySQL installations.
● Experience utilizing a variety of tools to monitor uptime, performance, and
load of systems.
● Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain
effective work relationships.
● Excellent problem-solving skills.
● Ability to consult directly with both technical and non-technical customers
to develop effective solutions.
● Good written and oral communication skills.
● Hands-on experience using VMware tools to manage a virtualized environment.
● Practical experience administering Red Hat Linux.
● Experience managing a variety of database packages, including Oracle,
PostgreSQL, and MS SQL Server.
● Experience configuring and troubleshooting application servers such as
Apache httpd (and associated modules like PHP, mod_ssl, Phusion Passenger) and
● Experience with Shibboleth and/or Active Directory authentication
● Experience with automated tools that support server configuration (Puppet,
Chef) and/or application testing and deployment (Jenkins, Hudson).
● Experience directly supporting application developers.
Apply here: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/37997
NC State is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic
Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and
interview process please call (919) 515-3148.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/15405/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/