University Archivist & Digital Curator
University of Winnipeg
Organization: University of Winnipeg
Job type: Full-time
Description and duties:
The University of Winnipeg Library invites applicants to apply for a dynamic
and exciting continuing-track position at the University of Winnipeg Library.
The University of Winnipeg is experiencing tremendous growth and development
as it embraces the future as a leading learning institution. The University of
Winnipeg received its charter in 1967 but its roots date back more than 130
years. The founding colleges were Manitoba College (1871) and Wesley College
(1888), which merged to form United College in 1938. The University's motto is
Lux et Veritas Floreant - Let Light and Truth Flourish.
Located in the heart of the city, The University of Winnipeg is committed to
providing true diversity of access to higher education and achieving academic
excellence. From its strong foundation in liberal arts education, to its
unique Collegiate Division, through its Professional, Applied, and Continuing
Education programs, and graduate programs, the University fosters lifelong
Reporting to the Dean of the Library, the University Archivist and Digital
Curator will be responsible for managing, building and strengthening the
University Archives and library special collections, while playing a
leadership role in the Library's development of a digital infrastructure for
the University of Winnipeg that will support teaching and research on campus.
* Manage the operations of the University Archives to ensure the preservation, accessibility, relevance and research value of the University of Winnipeg's archival and special library assets.
* Nurture and further develop a collection development mandate and strategy that will build strong university and private collections.
* Develop and oversee an innovative, collaborative digital plan for the Library that enhances online access to archival, library and scholarly multimedia and born-digital materials.
* Liaise with the Information and Privacy Officer on developing a records management strategy that ensures the ongoing preservation of the University's official records.
* Develop partnerships with key stakeholders on and off campus on projects that will promote and enhance the University of Winnipeg's print and digital archival and special library holdings.
* •Work with the Head of Systems to enhance the Library's capacity to support data management, open access publishing and digital humanities initiatives.
* Work with faculty to increase student usage of primary resource materials.
* Supervise the Archives Technician, Archives Assistant, and other archives and library staff as required.
* Work with the Copyright Officer to ensure access permissions and compliance with copyright legislation.
* Participate in Library and University committees, working groups and other initiatives as desired or needed.
* A Master's degree in archival studies or equivalent education
* Professional experience working in archives, special collections, and digital initiatives
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Evidence of successful project management
* Demonstrated commitment to providing customer service
* Familiarity with major archival software and tools
* Demonstrated interpersonal and teamwork skills complemented by the ability to take initiative
* A minimum of five years' experience working in archives, special collections, and digital initiatives in an academic setting
* Experience leading digitization initiatives or institutional repositories
* Experience in the development of exhibits
* Experience working successfully with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds
Additional information :
This is a continuing-track appointment expected to start November 1, 2014 and
is subject to final budgetary approval. The University Archivist and Digital
Curator will be appointed as a Librarian member of the University of Winnipeg
Faculty Association to one of four ranks, depending on qualifications and
experience. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
Deadline for applications: August 8, 2014
Organization web site: http://www.uwfa.ca
Application deadline: Aug 8 2014
How to apply:
Send applications (including a CV and the names of three references) to:
Gabrielle Prefontaine, Dean of the Library
c/o Pat DuGuay
University of Winnipeg
515 Portage Ave.
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/15476/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/