The Daniel Library at The Citadel invites collaborative, service-focused
applicants for the position of Science Librarian. This position will involve
course related library instruction and liaison responsibilities with the
faculty in the School of Engineering and the School of Science and
Mathematics. The successful candidate will participate in library-wide
projects and activities, develop research guides and online tools, serve on
library and campus committees, and promote information literacy
Liaison librarians cultivate partnerships with faculty to develop and deliver
instructional and collection development services to support the college's
research and teaching initiatives. The successful candidate will have
demonstrated the ability to work in a complex, changing environment with a
resourceful, flexible, and innovative attitude, and he or she will have a
proven capacity to work effectively and collegially in teams with staff at all
levels as well as with faculty and students. Tenure and promotion are
dependent upon continuing library service effectiveness, professional growth
and development, scholarship, and service to the college and community.
• Serve as the liaison to the School of Engineering, which includes three
departments: Civil and Environmental Engineering; Electrical and Computer
Engineering; and, Engineering Leadership and Project Management, and to the
School of Science and Mathematics which includes five departments: Biology;
Chemistry; Health, Exercise and Sport Science; Mathematics and Computer
Science; and, Physics.
• Collaborate with the Education Liaison Librarian in outreach support for the
Citadel STEM Center for Excellence.
• Proactively seek partnerships with faculty and students in the School of
Engineering and the School of Science and Mathematics to develop, deliver, and
assess information literacy and other library based initiatives.
• Maintain existing online research guides and develop new innovative online
research tools for science, engineering, math and related disciplines.
• Provide general and subject-specific reference and research assistance
through individual consultations at the Research and Information Desk, through
virtual reference services, and during library instruction session.
• As a member of the Instruction team, and under the direction of the
Instruction Coordinator, the Science Librarian will also contribute to the
development and teaching of the freshmen orientation course (Citadel 101)
• Create value-added services, resources, and programs to liaison departments
• Serve as occasional back-up to the Systems Librarian.
Training will be provided for this responsibility.
• An ALA-accredited Master's Degree in Library/Information Science
• Minimum of 1 years of library experience in any science, mathematics, or
engineering area providing reference, information literacy, consultation, or
• An understanding of the current research, information sources, and scholarly
trends in any science, mathematics, or engineering discipline.
• Knowledge of emerging issues and technologies in science librarianship.
• Strong computing, communication, interpersonal, written, and presentation
• Enthusiasm for collaboration and ability to work effectively in a collegial
• Initiative and innovative problem-solving skills.
**Preference will be given to candidates with these preferred qualifications**:
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in a science, mathematics or engineering,
• Administrative experience with any of the following technologies: ILLiad,
EDS, EZProxy, Millennium, or ContentDM.
PHP, Python, MySQL, or JQuery.
**Salary and Benefits**:
This is a full-time tenure track, twelve month position reporting to the
Library Director. Starting academic rank is Assistant
Professor. Position features a competitive salary, generous
health, dental, and life insurance options, 15 annual leave days and 15 sick
leave days per year.
The Citadel is located in beautiful Charleston, SC - voted #1 City in the U.S.
by Travel + Leisure and Conde Nast Traveler three years in a
The Citadel is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer actively
committed to ensuring diversity in all campus employment.
Please visit: [http://bit.do/citadel_science_librarian](http://bit.do/citadel_
science_librarian). To be considered, a separate resume and cover letter must
be submitted with the application.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/15571/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/