Junior Developer - Marmot LIbrary Network
Marmot Library Network
**MARMOT LIBRARY NETWORK**
**TITLE**: JUNIOR DEVELOPER
**SUPERVISOR**: Executive Director
**PURPOSE**: The Junior Developer maintains, supports, and develops web-based application software hosted by Marmot; and works with web coordinators and developers employed by member libraries to integrate services hosted by Marmot. As an entry-level employee, the Junior Developer must learn as quickly as possible the Marmot VuFind development environment and codebase. The Junior Developer also handles problem reports and service requests, and works with colleagues to operate and maintain online services hosted by Marmot.
**THE IDEAL JUNIOR DEVELOPER**:
• A team player who engages well with others
• A patient, active listener eager to provide exemplary customer service
• A technology geek who can understand user needs and provide appropriate
• Innovative, creative, and keen to explore new and emerging technologies
• Results-oriented, organized, systematic, and methodical
• Able to juggle several tasks at once and maintain a sense of humor
• A quick learner willing to tackle new problems and challenges
• BS in Computer & Information Science or equivalent and 0-2 years experience
in information technology
• Coursework or training for development and support of web-based applications
• Demonstrable experience supporting a web site.
**SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED**:
• Practical knowledge of computers, networks, operating systems, Windows,
Linux, Android, and iOS
• Demonstrable skill with PHP & CSS
• Familiarity with integrated library systems, particularly Sierra by
Innovative Interfaces; and catalog discovery layers, particularly VuFind by
• Desirable skills include website graphics design, MARC and library
cataloging standards, Solr, Java, Git or similar version control software, and
• Ability to discern specific problems in symptoms reported by non-technical
users, and to explain technical material in non-technical terms
• Ability to guard confidentiality of library and Marmot records
• Ability to respond promptly to system emergencies
**ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES**:
• Enhance and maintain the VuFind open source application to serve as the
online catalog for member libraries.
• Receive training and direction from the Senior Developer regarding
development environment, coding standards and best practices, and development
priorities gathered by the Senior Developer from task forces and committees.
• Work in an "agile" development manner: demonstrating enhancements and fixes
at regular intervals, accepting suggestions to fine-tune or start over with
good cheer, and working with colleagues to prioritize development of the most
valuable features soonest.
• Advise web coordinators and developers on technical details to integrate
services hosted by Marmot into library web sites.
• Maintain user and technical documentation in Marmot wikis and websites.
• Handle after-hours and weekend calls specific to VuFind, in rotation with
• Occasional travel to library sites in Colorado in all but the most severe
• Sit for extended periods while working at a computer
• See equipment and read manuals
• Speak and hear to communicate with staff, users, and suppliers
• Candidate must be located in Colorado
• Option to work either in Grand Junction at the main Marmot Office or the
• Possibility of location in other areas of Colorado will be considered if
applicant has prior experience working from a home office.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/15661/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/