UMFA Collections Photographer and Digital Media Producer
University of Utah
Salt Lake City
The Utah Museum of Fine Arts is located on the campus of the University of
Utah, and offers visitors the opportunity to explore over 5,000 years of human
creativity with a collection of almost 19,000 objects and art works from
classic Greek and Roman antiquities to cutting-edge, contemporary art. Founded
in 1914, the UMFA is the state of Utah's official museum creating exhibitions
and programs which serve a wide array of audiences.
The Collections Photographer is responsible for all aspects of creating and
maintaining visual (photographic) records of objects in the Museum collection
or in the Museum's custody. S/He takes a leadership role in developing
standards and formats for the type and quality of images, the organization and
archiving of digital image files, and insuring that image files are linked to
object records. The Photographer actively participates in assessing gaps and
weaknesses in the Museum's visual documentation of its collections, and is
responsible for developing strategies to enhance the quality, consistency, and
completeness of visual records. S/He is responsible for the development of
digital image-based conduits for public access to the Museum's collections. In
addition the Photographer provides photographic services to other Museum
departments as required including the photographing of exhibitions and events.
The Photographer prepares copies of images from the Museum's archives in a
variety of formats as required. S/He participates in other Collections
Department activities as requested including: the physical movement of
objects, packing crates, condition reporting incoming/outgoing traveling
exhibitions, cataloging, and other tasks within the department as needed.
* Create documentary photographs of objects which are newly acquired, on loan and in the custody of the Museum or part of the Museum's collection.
* Catalogs, archives and maintains digital images in an electronic database.
* Routinely participate in the correction and updating of existing records and developing data standards related to collections information system management.
* Contributes to the processes of planning for the staging, installation and de-installation of exhibitions; assists with the physical packing/unpacking and condition reporting.
* Supervises volunteer and part time staff assigned to related projects.
* Develop and implement procedures related to imaging.
* Contribute to development of department budget and efficiency.
* Participate in weekly collection/exhibitions teams, department planning and scheduling, staff meetings, and staff committees as assigned.
* Problem Solving
The incumbent works independently while performing assigned tasks, but
generally works as part of a team with input and guidance from the Marketing
Manager when performing. The incumbent must adhere to strict timelines when
coordinating the details of special events and marketing materials.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a
comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications
required of employees assigned to the job.
* Bachelor's degree in an art- or architecture-related field or similar area, plus one year directly related experience or equivalency required. Demonstrated experience in analog and digital resource management and understanding of digital standards including copyright issues. Demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills also required.
* Advanced art-related degree or Masters of Library Sciences preferred.
* Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
* Able to easily lift at least fifty pounds from floor to approximately 50"
* Able to safely carry at least fifty pounds for thirty feet
* Able to climb a 10' ladder
* Pass a criminal background check
* Have a valid driver's license and good driving record
* Have excellent vision or vision that can be corrected to excellent with glasses or contacts
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/15831/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/