Sr. Software Engineer, Video Preservation and Access
Sr. Software Engineer, Library Technology Services
Harvard University IT Library Technology Services (LTS) has developed and
deployed a large scale digital repository service aimed at providing web
access and long term preservation to tens of millions of digital images,
audio, books, web harvests, and other digital assets of the libraries and
museums at Harvard. The digital repository is strategic to the core mission of
the Harvard Library. As the digital landscape changes, a variety of new
content types will added to the repository, and made available for on-line
presentation to both Harvard users and the general public. Each content type
presents unique challenges in acquisition, preservation, and on-line delivery.
LTS is seeking a creative java software engineer to enhance our digital
repository to support new content types, initially focusing on digital video
material. In close collaboration with the Harvard Library Media Preservation
Lab and as part of an agile development team, the software engineer will
design, implement, test, and deploy software enabling the deposit,
preservation, management and presentation of video content, opening Harvard's
diverse video collections to researchers, teachers and learners now and in the
This is a fully benefited, full-time Harvard University position that has been
funded for two years (through Nov. 30, 2016). There is the
possibility of renewal, contingent on funding, university priorities and
satisfactory job performance.
Please apply at https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWEbHost/jobde
- Bachelor degree with 3+ years java software engineering experience or equivalent.
- Familiarity with XML as a data representation
- An orientation towards high quality software, including experience with junit or equivalent
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to quickly learn new software environments
The following are desired but not required:
- Experience with multimedia processing and presentation
- Java development using J2EE in a Jboss or tomcat environment
- Experience developing and consuming RESTful APIs
- Experience with metadata schemas such as METS, PREMIS, MODS
- Experience with test-driven development practices
- Experience working with an agile development methodology.
- Experience in requirements development and direct client engagement
- Experience integrating and/or contributing to open source software projects
- Please note: Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- Harvard University Information Technology is unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
- This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5
paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental &
vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per
class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through
participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as
additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost,
including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many
discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) to assure Harvard's
leadership in IT!
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology is a primary provider of IT services
to the Harvard community.
In collaboration with Harvard's CIO Council, we maintain IT policies and
foster innovation across the University.
Vision - We aspire to be an organization with:
- Committed and skilled people accountable to Harvard's mission and serving faculty and students
- Simple processes making it easy to work with us, do our jobs, and deliver results
- Innovative technology that is the right technology for the right reasons, including prudent experimentation.
To assure Harvard's leadership in IT, we strive to make it easier for faculty,
students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective
use of information technology.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/16489/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/