American Public University System
The Online Librarian works on a part-time, telecommuting basis and maintains
faculty status. This position works in tandem with other librarians along with
a departmental team of e-course material staff, copyright/508 auditors, and
ePress specialists under the overall direction of the department VP and
Assistant Provost, Library & Instructional Resources. The Online Librarian
will have developed their Web skills and specific subject credentials in
support of the University's academic programs. This position focuses on Web-
based collection development and the selection of electronic course materials,
including the creation of online program and subject portals in active
partnerships with Academic Deans, Program Directors, Faculty, and
Instructional Developers. In addition, the Online Librarian will collaborate
in providing virtual reference services for students, including taking the
lead for a select database, e-book program, or tutorial services.
* Works in classrooms as adjunct support.
* Develops a web-based collection and electronic course material selection in one or more of the University's Academic programs.
* Provides general reference service for APUS faculty, students, and staff.
* Works collaboratively with academic deans, program chairs, faculty, and instructional developers.
* Specialization in one or more of the library's contracted database, e-book, or student tutorial programs.
* Specializes in one or more of the library's contracted database, e-book, or student tutorial programs.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
* Must be available to work from a remote, home office location, but desk space is available at the Charles Town, WV facilities.
* Must be flexible to work weekends and evenings as directed by the supervisor.
* Travel to one annual meeting and online training sessions.
* Collegial team environment that stresses cooperative endeavors and encourages exploration.
* Requires a working telephone along with Internet access that is sufficient to address the current campus-teaching platform and online library site.
* Professional library/archival skills with an emphasis on electronic formats.
* Ability to interact with students and faculty in a professional and timely manner through electronic media.
* Mastery of online searching and site construction in keeping with the products licensed by the online library.
* Facility with current online searching methods and emerging Web-based applications.
* Working knowledge of educational resources on the deep and open Web.
* Proactive, diplomatic support of the University's programs.
* Ability to take initiative and work requiring minimum supervision.
* Portal construction skills working with HTML-based content management systems.
* Master's degree in Library and Information Science required; other advanced degrees in subject specialties taught at American Public University System (APUS) preferred.
* Advanced coursework in APUS related programs, including APUS classes is preferred.
* Academic or special library experience and experience in one or more of the University's program areas are preferred.
* Online information services experience preferred.
* Familiarity with office automation packages and knowledge of the changing web software landscape is preferred.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/16722/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/