Semantic Applications and Linked Data Developer
Albert R. Mann Library
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
Job Posting #25577: http://goo.gl/Oz1PdD
Cornell University’s Mann Library IT Team is seeking a senior-level Semantic Applications and Linked Data Developer who will apply innovative knowledge representation techniques and tools to library, university, regional, and international projects. Mann Library is a friendly and collaborative workplace where flexible, thoughtful and self-motivated librarians and IT staff engage together in a portfolio of projects encompassing climate science, international agricultural knowledge sharing, GIS and data visualization, and transitions from library catalogs to linked data. Join the team developing the VIVO software (vivoweb.org and github.org/vivo-project) and VIVO-ISF ontology through an international consortium of universities, research institutions, government agencies, and non-profits, promoting rich semantic interconnectivity among researchers, activities, and outputs anywhere in the world.
* Researching, synthesizing, and applying the most appropriate knowledge, technologies and tools to improve data harvesting, integration, interoperability, and dissemination to consuming websites and services
* Active participation with local, national, and international collaborators on ontology development, standards initiatives, and open source software
* Contributing to the full range of information technology services provided by the Cornell University Library (may functionally supervise the work of others and lead project teams)
* Preparing strategic guidance, white papers, project proposals, visualizations, presentations, technical documentation, and reports influencing technology development practices and policies and having broad impact within and beyond the University.
* Providing training and guidance to academic and professional staff at Cornell and partner institutions
* Bachelor’s degree in an information science (library science, information science, computer science or equivalent) or other relevant discipline and more than 5 years of relevant experience
* Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills and a strong, user-centered service orientation
* Evidence of ability to assess, analyze, plan, and solve problems creatively and collaboratively in a complex, rapidly-changing environment
* Experience designing, programming, and deploying creative and effective web applications
* Experience working with metadata standards, ontologies, and thesauri
* Familiarity with data interchange standards, reasoning, rules, XML and XSLT, and with statistics, data mining, text mining libraries, algorithms, and applications
* Experience with Agile Software Development methodologies, with UNIX shell scripting, log analysis, and scheduling
* Experience contributing source code, ontologies, testing, documentation, and/or support to open source communities
* Experience working in higher education or research
Background check may be required. No relocation assistance is provided for this position.Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery and engagement. Located in Ithaca, NY, Cornell's far-flung global presence includes the medical college's campuses on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and Doha, Qatar, as well as the new Cornell Tech campus to be built on Roosevelt Island in the heart of New York City.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We’re an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.