Bridgewater State University
Date created: 11-03-2014
Open until filled
Bridgewater State University is seeking applicants for the position of Systems Librarian.
The Systems Librarian works collaboratively with others to identify, develop, deploy, and manage new and existing technologies (hardware, software, virtual and cloud-based) to support library services, teaching and learning. The Systems Librarian is creative, progressive, service-oriented professional with strong commitment to problem-solving, training, and developing accurate documentation.
1) Administers the integrated library system (Voyager from Ex Libris), which includes but is not limited to planning for upgrades, implementing upgrades, quality control, client troubleshooting, developing customizations, patron record loads, liaises with vendor.
2) Provides technical expertise, day-to-day administration, and broad support for traditional and emerging library hardware and software solutions and standards. Liaises with the Information Technology division.
3) Develops, establishes and oversees procedures and work standards for maintenance, troubleshooting, problem reporting and tracking. Collaborates with Information Technology division as needed.
4) Administers a variety of virtual and physical environments, including but not limited to proxy server, storage server(s), and production server(s), in collaboration with other librarians and the Information Technology division.
5) Participates in the design, coordination, and support of statistical and managerial reports to support assessment of services and resources.
6) Keeps current with developments in technologies; researches and tests their value and use; investigates and recommends for use or purchase technologies to augment library services, teaching and learning, and research support.
7) Provides oversight and long-range planning for library application software and systems.
8) Works collaboratively with others on systems-related, technology-related, and digitally-based projects.
9) Advises on and implements training for librarians and library staff on appropriate library applications and technologies.
10) Provides written reports, analyses, and documentation for the library systems.
11) Maintains broad knowledge of operating systems, programming languages, and software.
12) Attends, actively participates and works with librarians and library staff to enable library systems support.
13) May lead technology-related groups and/or actively participate as a systems representative to library and campus committees and groups.
14) Serves as a subject liaison to one or more academic programs, centers, or departments.
15) Represents the library on campus-, regional-, and statewide committees.
16) Serves as a member of the professional staff and carries out other tasks in the library as time and schedule permit, including attending staff meetings and participating on committees.
17) Engages in scholarly pursuits and other professional activities in accordance with the MSCA contract guidelines for promotion and tenure.
1) Master's degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA accredited program.
2) Three (3) years professional experience with library systems, network administration, academic technology, and new technology development at an academic institution, large public library, or special library.
3) Experience using a wide variety of platforms, applications, hardware, and programming languages.
4) Facility to work with others collaboratively or to work independently as required or needed.
5) Ability to think and work strategically, set priorities, and adapt quickly to changing environmental needs.
6) Strong problem-solving, analytical and organizational skills
1) Second master's degree in a related discipline.
2) Demonstrated experience using the Ex Libris Voyager system.
3) Experience managing, implementing or integrating link resolvers and ILS data.
4) Second language facility.
5) Demonstrated scholarly activity or progress.
To view a full description of the position and application instructions please go to: jobs.bridgew.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=56694