Web Services Librarian (University of Alabama Libraries, Alabama)
University of Alabama
The University of Alabama seeks an energetic, flexible, and innovative
applicant for the position of Web Services Librarian to work in a team
environment with other library faculty and staff. Reporting to the Head of Web
Services, the Web Services Librarian will maintain our discovery system
application, and assist in managing, maintaining and extending the University
Libraries' web presence. The Web Services Librarian will also work closely
with faculty and staff to ensure that content is accessible, accurate, timely,
The Web Services Librarian primary duties:
* Serve as the primary manager and point of contact for the University Libraries' EBSCO Discovery Service (EDS) application and be responsible for coordinating and resolving issues as well as finding, developing, and implementing enhancements.
* Work with other members of the Web Services Department in the management of our WordPress installations (blogs, library web site, etc.) and other applicable content management systems.
* Help manage additional web applications and tools that enhance access to collections for University of Alabama patrons, further the Web Services Department's activities, and facilitate the work of library employees, students, faculty, and staff.
* Engage in development and management work with Drupal, WordPress, and Omeka.
* Engage in design activity using Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks or similar applications.
* Maintain currency with web technologies, software, tools, and solutions and participate in evaluation, assessment, and training efforts.
Required: A Master's degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited
institution or equivalent degree in a relevant area (Instructional Technology,
Information Systems, etc.).
The Web Services Librarian position also requires:
* Some experience working with discovery applications, content management systems, and database-driven web sites and applications.
* Demonstrable general web design & development experience using HTML 5 and CSS.
* Some experience or familiarity with front-end development libraries (Bootstrap, jQuery, etc.) and techniques (AJAX fetching and JSON data arrays).
* Familiarity with PHP/MySQL or similar web application frameworks.
* Knowledge of information architecture, taxonomy/ontology creation, and writing content for the web.
* Knowledge of responsive web design.
* Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
* Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
* Aptitude and desire to learn new technologies.
* Initiative, flexibility, organization, precision, and excellent problem solving skills are a must.
* Experience with the EBSCO Discovery Service or other library discovery system(s).
* One-year experience in a library setting, preferably academic.
* Knowledge of current web accessibility (ADA/WCAG 2.0+) standards and how these standards affect web design and patron access.
* Demonstrable experience with WordPress development and design (APIs, management, theming, etc.).
* Knowledge of HTTP and other communication protocols.
* Strong interest in emerging technologies, library technology trends, general trends in librarianship and higher education that affect library technology.
* Working knowledge of XML.
* Familiarity with Unix/Linux variant server environments.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/18120/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/