Western North Carolina Library Network Librarian
Appalachian State University
The WNCLN Network Librarian provides leadership, direction, and technical
expertise for the Western North Carolina Library Network. Located in the
mountains of North Carolina, the Network is composed of three members of the
University of North Carolina (UNC) System: Appalachian State University,
University of North Carolina Asheville, and Western Carolina University. WNCLN
is an established and successful consortium, noted for a shared governance
structure with broad participation among librarians, archivists, and staff
from the three libraries. The person in this position must combine self-
directed leadership with the practice of seeking input and guidance from
others to achieve successful outcomes for the consortium.
Responsibilities of this position include:
Administer, support, and enhance a shared integrated library system (ILS)
• Serve as systems administrator for all three libraries and provide
operational support and training on all ILS functions and modules. Maintain
load tables and handle or assist with batch loads and overlays.
• Act as liaison with Innovative Interfaces for all products, including Sierra
and the public catalog. Manage support calls for all ILS issues through their
• Assist with the implementation of discovery services, e-resources, and tools
that interface with the catalog, such as link resolvers, A-to-Z tools, ILL
software, and OCLC holdings.
• Identify new modules, products, vendor solutions, or open source strategies
to improve access to WNCLN library resources and collections and liaise with
third party vendors who provide content or authority control to the system.
• Collaborate with campus partners on IT solutions for managing funds, patron
loads, and authentication issues.
Facilitate cross-library collaborations
• Support robust methods of communication among libraries, including face-to-
face, listserv, web and teleconferencing, and repositories of decisions,
policies, and toolkits. Regular travel between the three libraries to
facilitate projects and initiatives.
• Serve as a non-voting resource person to Network committees, the Network
Coordinating Council, and the Board of Directors. Play a key role in planning
and coordination of Network technology projects.
• Coordinate and support Network policies and initiatives related to Network
governance, collaboration, resource sharing, systems, access to information,
Manage and supervise Network operations
• Administer the Network budget and provide clear, helpful communication about
budget issues. Supervise Network staff of 1.5 FTE.
• Design and communicate effective workflows for managing the Network's
Required qualifications are:
• An ALA-accredited master's degree in library and information studies.
• Demonstrated experience in managing systems or related technology projects
in an academic library setting.
• Minimum of two years' significant recent experience with and knowledge of
the inner workings of integrated library systems, discovery systems, A-to-Z
tools, link resolvers, and e-resource management tools.
• Knowledge of cataloging and metadata standards such as RDA, MARC21, and XML.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including excellence in
project management and fostering collaboration.
• Demonstrated ability to learn and adopt technologies quickly.
• Ability to research, analyze, and communicate issues and options to diverse
audiences, including library administrators, staff, and faculty.
• Ability to exercise collaborative leadership.
• Knowledge and interest in trends and developments in library systems and
technology, particularly in network environments.
• Budget management experience.
• Successful experience training and supervising.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/17651/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/