Digital Libraries Programmer
University of North Texas Libraries
Providing leadership in innovation and learning, the UNT Libraries
(http://www.library.unt.edu) are an essential force in teaching and research.
The Libraries provide expertise in all areas of scholarship and work to meet
the ever-changing needs of a vibrant, student-centered research university.
The Digital Libraries Division supports the UNT Libraries with guidance, web
development, digital preservation, and other digital services. Through
collaborative efforts such as The Portal to Texas History
(http://texashistory.unt.edu ) and the UNT Digital Library
(http://digital.library.unt.edu/) we freely provide digital content to a
worldwide audience. Our software development team implements, maintains, and
enhances the infrastructure of these products with open source components and
open, standards-based protocols and formats.
**Job Description **
Working with the Django Web framework and other open source components, you
will contribute to the feature development and upkeep of the content delivery
system in use for The Portal to Texas History (http://texashistory.unt.edu/)
and related products. In addition, you will provide programming support for
our metadata creation and editing systems. You will work collaboratively with
other programmers and technologists in the UNT Libraries to address software
problems and to add and customize features for our products.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Developing and maintaining existing Django Web applications hosted by the Division
* Contributing to the development of the "Aubrey" content delivery system
* Providing programming support for the "Aubrey" metadata editing system
* Adhering to the unit's version control practices for software development and deployment
* Adhering to the unit's testing practices for software and interfaces
* Participating in grant and externally funded projects as assigned
UNT is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. It is our policy to
provide Equal Employment Opportunities (including provisions for training,
development, transfer and promotion) for all individuals without regard to
race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, or veteran's
**Minimum Qualifications **
Bachelor's degree with coursework in computing or information systems and one
year of related computing or programming work experience; or any equivalent
combination of education, training and experience which provides the following
knowledge, skills, and abilities:
* Considerable knowledge of the methods and equipment used in electronic data processing.
* Skill in writing programs for computer applications.
* Ability to analyze problems and develop solutions.
* Ability to perform detailed work accurately.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to communicate clearly, succinctly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
* Knowledge of safe working procedures related to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Demonstrated desire to learn new tool sets and programming languages
* Working knowledge of the Linux operating system
* Working knowledge of open source tools and environments
* Working knowledge of version control systems
* Working knowledge of XML, Apache, MySQL
* Proficiency in Python, Ruby, or PHP
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/18178/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/