Digital Publishing Production Lead, Mason Publishing
George Mason University
The George Mason University library system, comprised of a large central
library and four other distinctive libraries, is located on three campuses in
the Northern Virginia-metropolitan Washington DC region. One of Virginia's
leading academic research libraries, the Mason Libraries continues to gain
steadily in national stature as it undergoes extensive transformation in all
areas that are key to a 21st century research library - innovative
technologies and services, expert library faculty and skilled staff members,
growing collections, publishing, modern facilities, and transformational
partnerships. Visit us at library.gmu.edu for more information.
Mason Publishing Group seeks an experienced professional responsible for the
management of and front-line user support for digital publishing tools and
platforms. Mason Publishing Group is a new initiative that unites the George
Mason University Libraries' existing digital publishing activity with the
George Mason University Press to form a new set of publishing services for the
Successful candidate will:
* Manage the daily operations of our digital publishing tools, including the institutional repository--Mason Archival Repository Service (MARS)--and our LUNA digital asset management system;
* Consult with students, faculty and researchers who want to publish materials in MARS;
* Work closely with our metadata services group to insure consistent metadata across all digital platforms;
* Assist our Data Services Group with data repository issues and solutions;
* Provide project management responsibility for workflows leading to production/transformation of e-content for a range of target platforms (e.g., e-books, e-journals, print-on-demand services, etc.);
* Work with outside vendors and publishing partners to deliver digital files and metadata.
* Incumbent supervises the Digital Content Developer and reports to the Head, Mason Publishing Group.
* Graduate degree in relevant discipline, such as ALA-Accredited masters in library or information science, masters in publishing, and/or other advanced or terminal degree;
* Be familiar with a range of web-based technologies and possess demonstrable expertise in at least one of the following: XML, XSLT, Java, HTML5, epub, or CSS;
* Demonstrated success managing and/or developing digital publications and collections within a library, publisher, or knowledge institution;
* Outstanding analytical, organizational, project, and time management skills and ability to simultaneously lead multiple projects;
* Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and complete tasks and projects on time and within budget by leveraging demonstrated creative and innovative problem-solving skills;
* Ability to document relevant policies, procedures, and local standards.
* 2-4 years of professional experience in digital publishing initiatives, digital collections, or digital repositories;
* Experience working with digital publishing or institutional repository platform/software (e.g., Fedora, DSpace, Eprints, Digital Commons);
* Knowledge of current metadata standards and understanding of metadata principles and practices;
* Facility with the Adobe Creative Suite, particularly In-Design (CS5 or later) a plus;
* Experience in identifying appropriate funding opportunities and in writing successful grant applications;
* Knowledge of new scholarly publishing models.
* 12-month professional faculty appointment with rank possible, dependent on qualifications and experience. Health plan options and paid life insurance; several retirement plans, including TIAA-CREF; 24 vacation days and 12 paid holidays; tuition waiver for self.
All applications for this position (FA463z) MUST be submitted online at George
Mason's employment page, http://jobs.gmu.edu. Applicants must submit letter of
application, resume, and names, addresses (including e-mail) and phone numbers
of three current references. Questions should be directed to Debra Hogan,
Executive Assistant to the University Librarian, [log in to unmask] Review of
applications begins December 10, 2014, and will continue until the position is
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/18184/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/