Research Data Curation Librarian
University of Michigan
The University of Michigan, a leader in undergraduate and graduate education
and one of the world's premier research universities, has prominent faculty,
rigorous academic programs, and a diverse cultural and social environment. By
advancing new modes of scholarly communication, engaging users in innovative
and relevant ways, and developing collections and services that directly
support the teaching, learning, and research mission of the University, the
University of Michigan Library is leading the re-imagining of the research
library in the digital era.
The University of Michigan Library has embarked on an aggressive and exciting
initiative to address research data management needs at the University, and is
seeking a forward-thinking and innovative Research Data Curation Librarian to
join the team. Reporting to the Research Data Services Manager, the Research
Data Curation Librarian will advance the library's mission to create and
sustain data services for the campus that support the mission of the
University of Michigan researchers through our Research Data Services (RDS)
RDS is responsible for strategic planning, coordination, and deployment of
research data services directed at facilitating the research lifecycle. This
includes creating and implementing data management assistance for the campus,
outreach to faculty in collaboration with subject specialists,
informationists, training, and assessment of RDS programs and services. RDS
operates in 4 key areas: 1) Education, Awareness and Community Building, 2)
Technical Infrastructure, 3) Policy and Strategy, and 4) Consultation and
The responsibilities of the Research Data Curation Librarian will fall in all
key areas; the initial focus of this position will be to contribute to the
development of the data repository in collaboration with colleagues and
stakeholders, in the library and across campus.
The University of Michigan Library is committed to recruiting and the
retaining a diverse workforce and cultivating an environment that allows and
encourages all employees to contribute the fullest expression of their diverse
backgrounds, skills, and life experiences to their work and towards the
fulfillment of the Library's mission.
While partnering with colleagues at the U-M Office of Research, Information
Technology Services, Advanced Research Computing, as well as academic
programs, institutes, departments, and colleges across campus, the Research
Data Curation Librarian will:
Work with researchers to curate and archive data
* The Librarian will work with researchers to identify, recruit, ingest and deposit data in the library's digital repository, adhering to local policies and national and international standards and best practices.
* The incumbent will play a significant role in outreach to the research community to deposit data in both the digital repository or appropriate subject repository, as well as creating training programs, help guides and web resources for Data Education and RDS for internal and external audiences.
* When necessary the Librarian will consult with researchers on metadata standards and data sensitivity characterization.
Create, support and sustain technical infrastructure
* In collaboration with key partners, will act as the Research Data Services point person for the data repository.
* Investigate integrative infrastructures to connect campus needs to the repository.
* Design and implement workflows, and execute technical processes involved in managing the lifecycle of digital datasets including data transformation projects.
Work with campus stakeholders on larger data collections issues
* Serve as a consultant to researchers and librarians on data issues and services.
* Perform data management planning with principle investigators and researchers.
* Assist in the development and delivery of training and instructional materials on data curation.
* Provide guidance and instruction on discovery, acquisition and use of research data in the public domain.
Engage and participate in all aspects of the RDS and library services as
* Participate in research data management consultations, data curation activities and the development of resources, documentation and instructional content about data curation.
* Participate in selected cross-library working groups to create and improve services.
* Other duties as assigned.
* ALA-accredited Master's degree or an equivalent combination of a relevant advanced degree and experience.
* Demonstrated knowledge of or direct experience working with or managing research data.
* Knowledge of information technologies, standards and best practices prevalent in digital or data curation.
* Ability to articulate roles in the research data ecosystem.
* Knowledge of technologies for data management and curation, and familiarity with preservation principles and practices.
* Ability to work independently and effectively with others as a team within a complex and fluid organization. Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment.
* Possess excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to present and share ideas clearly and effectively to a diverse audience.
* Experience documenting workflows and procedures.
* Knowledge of metadata formats, including Dublin Core, MODS, METS, and data exchange protocols such as SWORD and OAI-PMH.
* Experience working with digital repository or content management systems.
* Experience in identifying researcher information needs and in creating effective services to meet those needs.
* Demonstrated experience in the acquisition and management of born-digital or digitized library, archival, or research materials.
* Demonstrated commitment to customer service.
* Demonstrated time management and project completion skills.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/18235/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/