Digitization Associate (term)
Brooklyn Historical Society
New York City
The Brooklyn Historical Society is hiring a Digitization Associate who will
report directly to the Head of Collection Management. This position will
entail handling delicate and valuable materials, scanning and photography of
those materials, billing, electronic delivery, digital asset management, and
copyright research and assessment. While a technical position, it offers a
variety of tasks and access to rare materials within a historical museum and
• Complete staff- and researcher-requested digitization of collection items
and distribute assets to internal users and external partners.
• Work closely with staff in departments across the institution to improve
access to digital assets for daily use, special projects, and initiatives.
• Invoice and process payments for image orders for external researchers.
• Research copyright status for all requests.
• Attach metadata to all scans
• Provide day-to-day and long-range administrative oversight of digital
• Update Past Perfect records with scanning information.
• Item-level cataloging using Past Perfect; collection-level record
enhancement using Archivists' Toolkit
• Special projects in support of archival and library collections.
• Blogging and Photo of the Week participation.
• Enrolled in or recent graduate from graduate school for Information &
• Strong computer skills, including a complete working knowledge of Adobe
Photoshop, and Adobe Bridge software.
• High level of organizational skill with keen attention to detail.
• Copy photography experience preferred.
• Familiarity with Past Perfect Museum Software preferred.
• Basic knowledge of intellectual property issues preferred.
3 days/week or a total of 21 hours during normal business hours: Monday
through Friday, 9am-5pm for 1 year at a rate of $20/hour. Benefits include
free admittance to NYC museums.
Those with an interest in history, background in photography, and formal
training in library science/archival management should post a cover letter and
resume to library(at)brooklynhistory.org. The subject line of the email should
read: [last name] Digitization Associate
Position starts December 1, 2014.
The Brooklyn Historical Society is dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination
in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national
origin, the presence of any mental, physical, or sensory disability, sexual
orientation, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/18190/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/