I have a solution running that is compatible with API V3 but it is pretty
specific to Ruby on Rails. The idea is to use Google's iCal interface rather
than the API. iCal is going to stay the same no matter how many iterations
the API goes through. You basically just need to find an iCal parsing
library for whatever language you are using. The only problem is that Google
does a bad job with exceptions to recurrence rules (rrules). Instead of
editing a single event in a repeating series, you have to delete that event
and re-add it as a separate event.
In this example, I have a MySQL table listing several Google Calendars and
the URL given for their iCal files in the calendar settings page. It loops
through each calendar, fetches the iCal, parses it, and saves the resulting
hours to a separate Events table. This might be more complicated than people
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Library Hours Fail
Wish I had checked the list this morning, as I just discovered we had the
same problem. We have been using Andrew Darby's method outlined here:
Is there by any chance someone using this method who happened to know the V2
API was being deprecated who already updated their app to V3?
If not anyone who wants to work on getting this to work tomorrow?
Digital Services Librarian
Loyola University Chicago
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mary
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Library Hours Fail
I know this has been covered a bit here, but I have a rather exigent
conundrum, and I'm hoping to figure out the best/easiest solution.
Yesterday, the script to hour library hours (on our front page) which pulls
from Google calendar stopped working ("Error at line undefined in
undefined[!]" - the exclamation point is mine; it seemed like it needed
Basically, the code came from a site that walked one through how to call
deprecated (as I abruptly discovered), and I need to figure out another
solution. (I haven't been able to find similar documentation for V3's API.)
Some constraints: 1. Our IT will not support php. We are an .NET shop
with IIS servers. 2. We may not have the dough to pay for something like
LibCal which seems to me the easiest solution. 3. I'm semi-new to this
"Internets/webmaster" thing, and really only know front-end coding, so a
solution involving something like .NET, Python, etc. would have to have,
"How to make a peanut butter sandwich," kind of documentation.
Right now, I've just manually coded our hours, which is fine until Saturday
when our hours change, and I'm not here (hopefully). I will be super
grateful for insight or knowledge.
Electronic Resources and Web Librarian
J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
Email: [log in to unmask]