Web Services Librarian
Boston Public Library
**Web Services Librarian
Boston Public Library**
Under the supervision of the Online and Web Services Manager, and within the
framework of goals, policies and procedures of the Library, assists in
maintaining and supporting public services delivered through the Metro Boston
Library Network and the Boston Public Librarys websites, with a special focus
on information organization and usability. This position is
part of the Division of Administration and Technology.
Reports to the Online and Web Services Manager
**Scope of Responsibility**
1. Coordinates and organizes content and services as part of the Boston Public
Library's online presence.
2. Assists in the development and design of all library-hosted web sites and
other online properties. Plays an active leadership role in assessing and
improving web site usability, organization, accessibility, accuracy, and
3. Works as part of a team to document policies and procedures related to
online content creation and design. Creates and maintains technical and
project management documentation.
4. Collaborates extensively with library stakeholders to ensure that the
content and services delivered to the public via the web and online services
reflect and match the breadth of services, collections, exhibits, and events
available at all locations of the BPL. Leads project teams as needed to
complete web service initiatives.
5. Works with relevant library staff to ensure that the librarys brand
identity is handled consistently across library websites and online
presences. Collaborates on implementation and oversight of
new communications tools identified and deployed through online services.
6. Maintains current knowledge of best practices, standards, and technologies
related to web services. Applies applicable knowledge to existing and new
services offered by the library.
7. Assists in the evaluation and implementation of new technologies and
upgrades. Communicates updates on these activities to all key stakeholders as
8. Works closely with vendors, partner institutions, staff, and the public to
implement, modify, and maintain services in anticipation of changing needs.
9. Trains staff on web applications and services deployed by the web services
10. As a member of the Administration and Technology team, assists in
implementing strategic, long range and Administration and Technology
11. Conducts usability studies and evaluates site analytics to determine if
web services and applications are meeting the needs of our user groups.
12. Represents the library at city, state, or national meetings and
conferences as assigned.
13. Performs related duties and functions as assigned
1. Aptitude for assessing effectiveness of public library services, methodical
troubleshooting of technical issues, and evaluating tasks based on the
librarys core mission.
2. Ability to organize information for online consumption, ability to code in
and provide basic troubleshooting of current html standards and a facility
with at least basic usability design.
3. Ability to recognize and set priorities and to use initiative and
independent decision-making skills.
4. Flexibility and adaptability, a willingness to embrace change, and a sense
5. Enthusiasm for work in a team environment and for cooperative
6. Excellent communication, public speaking and presentation skills.
1. Education - Bachelor's Degree from a recognized college or university and a
Master's Degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent from an
accredited library school.
2. Experience -
4 years of public service and/or technical library experience or equivalent
combination of education, experience and training sufficient to indicate
ability to do the work.
Demonstrated proficiency in writing for the web and/or mobile platforms,
public speaking, current and emerging web authoring and development tools and
standards. Knowledge of and experience with established and developing
programming procedures and languages preferred.
Strong familiarity with web application security, web accessibility standards,
information architecture, content strategy for the web, and content management
Demonstrated ability and skill in the administration and maintenance of web
and other online platform tools.
1. Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the
2. Residency - Must be a resident of the City of Boston upon the first day of
3. CORI - Must successfully clear a Criminal Offenders Record Information
check with the City of Boston.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: PSA / P-3
Hours per week: 35
Please refer to the Salary Information section on the Boston Career Center
site for more information on compensation. For each Salary
Plan, salaries are listed by Grade and Step.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/18325/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/