The Haverford College Libraries seeks a creative, collaborative, and
enthusiastic Metadata Librarian to join a supportive, service-oriented team as
it embarks upon a new strategic plan and prepares for a large renovation to
its main library. The Metadata Librarian creates and
administers traditional and non-traditional metadata for library collections
in all formats. The incumbent provides strategic leadership
in the application of metadata standards and best practices across library
systems, and serves as a campus resource to faculty and other constituents in
incorporating metadata into research
projects. Reporting to the Head of
Metadata Services/Visual Resources Librarian, the Metadata Librarian maintains
awareness of emerging trends at the national level and their implications for
Working in a highly collaborative and supportive environment, the Metadata
Librarian is responsible for generating and maintaining through a variety of
means bibliographic records in Tripod, the joint catalog of the Tri-College
Library Consortium (Haverford, Bryn Mawr, and Swarthmore
Colleges). The incumbent produces metadata for the
Libraries' digital repositories, and performs quality control on data input by
student assistants. The incumbent trains student assistants
in an assortment of metadata-related tasks, including copy cataloging, and
maintains departmental procedures and statistics. The
Metadata Librarian collaborates with others in the Haverford Libraries and the
libraries at Bryn Mawr and Swarthmore Colleges to develop best practices of
mutual benefit to the consortium. Often in collaboration
with Digital Scholarship staff, the incumbent consults with faculty and other
campus constituents on applying metadata to enrich research
projects. The Metadata Librarian
maintains knowledge of emerging national trends and their implications for
local practices. Reports to the Head of Metadata
Services/Visual Resources Librarian.
* Manages and evaluates the quality and consistency of the Tri-College Library Consortium's bibliographic databases.
* Performs or supervises copy and original cataloging of print and non-print materials.
* Applies metadata expertise to locally-developed digital collections.
* Trains and supervises student assistants.
* Develops and implements local metadata policies and procedures in consultation with the Head of Metadata Services/Visual Resources Librarian.
* Represents Haverford in Tri-College discussions of metadata issues.
* Responsible for OCLC training, support, and software maintenance.
* Contributes to the smooth operation of the Haverford Libraries, and strives to create a supportive, healthy work environment.
* MLS from an ALA-accredited institution.
* Thorough knowledge of and experience applying AACR2/RDA, MARC, LCC, LCSH.
* Experience cataloging in OCLC and in an integrated library system.
* Experience creating, applying, and manipulating non-MARC metadata using standards such as Dublin Core, DDI, EAD, or METS.
* Interest in and awareness of metadata issues and trends, such as linked data and BIBFRAME.
* Strong service orientation.
* Ability to maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and students.
* Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
* Two or more years of experience working with metadata in an academic library.
* Experience coding in PHP, Python, or other programming language.
* Experience using MarcEdit.
* Experience working with DSpace, Fedora, or other repository system.
* Reading knowledge of one or more Western European languages.
* Experience working with authority files.
* Experience with data management planning and data curation activities
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/19216/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/