Just a quick reminder that the next quarterly meetup of Code4lib-SoCal is in two weeks (March 5th), at the Getty Research Institute: http://www.meetup.com/Code4lib-SoCal/events/219653631/ Lunch will be provided!
We have a good slate of topics, but still have room for more talks. If you'd like to present something, let me know.
Our morning docket:
- Gary Thompson from UCLA will discuss integrating Aeon Paging for Special Collections and Archives materials into the catalog UI.
- I will give an overview of using Karma to map datasets to ontologies.
- Alexandra Ka Dolan-Mescal and Shannon Cronin from UC Riverside will give a quick presentation and kick off a lunch time discussion about "Librarians as Programmers - Librarians vs Programmers - Librarians and Programmers".
Our afternoon docket:
- We're going to try out a new peer review kind of session in which anyone can present a recent software design or idea for critique by the group. I will offer to be the guinea pig and go first with my design for a rebuild of the Getty Research Portal. We'll have plenty of time for more than one project, so please bring your own designs to present if you'd like a critique.
- Somebody will give an intro to using Docker
- If anyone has functioning brain cells by the end of the day, we'll have a fun coding challenge. Otherwise everyone can feel free to spend the rest of the day exploring the museum (I highly recommend the WWI exhibit in the GRI).
- The c4l16 hosting committee will have a meeting at the close of the regular meetup.
Please RSVP on the meetup site: http://www.meetup.com/Code4lib-SoCal/events/219653631/
I hope to see you there.
Joshua Gomez | Sr. Software Engineer
Getty Research Institute | Los Angeles, CA