The Caltech Library seeks an Applications Developer to work in our Digital Library Development department. Join us in sunny Southern California in an exciting and innovative environment at one of the world's premier research institutions!
About Caltech and Caltech Library
The California Institute of Technology (Caltech) is a world-renowned science and engineering research and education institution, where extraordinary faculty and students seek answers to complex questions, discover new knowledge, lead innovation, and transform our future. Founded by Caltech faculty, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is a division of Caltech and is the leading U.S. center for the robotic exploration of the solar system. For the fourth year in a row, Caltech was named the top university in the world in 2014-15 in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings. Caltech was awarded "Great College to Work For" by the Chronicle of Higher Education in 2013.
Caltech's 124-acre campus is located in Pasadena, California. Home to the Rose Bowl Parade, Pasadena is located in the foothills of the Angeles National Forest, 10 miles from downtown Los Angeles.
The Caltech Library system comprises five libraries and Archives and Special Collections. The Library's 42 staff is divided across four units that reflect the Library's core areas of service to Caltech: Digital Library Development, Access and Fulfillment Services, Archives and Special Collections, and Research Services.
The Applications Developer works in the Digital Library Development department to support a suite of digital library applications.
The Digital Library Development department is composed of 3 librarians and 6 IT professionals. The department supports CaltechAUTHORS and other repositories on the EPrints platform; digitized Archives collections on the Islandora digital Library platform; the III ILS and SFX discovery tools; the Library's website; public and staff desktop computing; and core infrastructure.
The Applications Developer will:
* Develop software and/or modify existing software for digital library projects.
* Perform coding and analysis to modify and improve web interfaces for library software systems.
* Collaborate with library staff on product development roadmaps.
* Participate in and contribute to library open source software communities.
* Improve productivity and efficiency of library applications development operations, including through collaboration with entities external to the library at Caltech and beyond.
* BS degree or equivalent combination of education and experience with 2+ years of applications development experience.
* Knowledge of web technologies and frameworks including Apache, HTML/XHTML, XML, CSS.
* Knowledge of relational database systems with experience in MySQL, SQL.
* Working knowledge of software version control systems such as Git or SVN.
* Strong analytical skills and orientation to detail.
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* BS degree in engineering or related field.
* Working knowledge of library operations and systems
* Fluency with additional programming languages such as Java or Ruby on Rails.
* Familiarity with additional web development frameworks and tools such as Drupal or jQuery.
* Familiarity with Semantic Web concepts and technologies (RDF, OWL, URIs).
To apply for this job, please visit https://jobs.caltech.edu/postings/2699