Web Services Senior Developer
New York University
New York City
New York University, Division of Libraries is
enthusiastically seeking a Web Services Senior Developer.
The Web Services Senior Developer serves as a major collaborator with the User
Experience department and other Libraries units to plan, design, program, test
and implement web based library infornormation and service initiatives in
which vendor based systems a?? Primo Discovery, Aleph ILS (Ex Libris Group,
Inc.) and third party open source tools are core components.
• Work with Library staff to envision, design and implement library search,
discovery, and delivery and research tools in an increasingly integrated
online environment to meet the 21st century demands of students, faculty,
scholars and researchers at NYU.
• The Senior Web Developer will work with a small group of developers to
specify, program and test web based library services using current web based
approaches such as Agile development techniques, cloud services, Ruby-on-
• The Senior Developer will ensure that new services and systems inter operate
with library and university systems both current and planned including single
sign-on capability and integration into the University's Shibboleth
authentication environment. The Senior Developer will remain up-to-date on
current practices and trends related to academic library search/discovery and
research tool development through attending workshops, seminars, classes and
conference and interacting with other professionals in this arena.
• The Sr. Web Developer will coordinate the technical skills of the web
development team and work with the Associate Dean of I.T./Univ. Media Services
to align development work with the strategic and operational priorities of the
Division of Libraries.
Required Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, mathematics, information/computer
• Working knowledge of HTML 5, Agile Development techniques, responsive
JQuery, Restful APIs, JSON, XML, HTML5, Ruby on Rails, JRuby, etc. and other
• Proven knowledge/skill in specifying and programming complex web
• Experience with UNIX and Intel/MAC platforms.
• Understanding of networking and security requirements for web based
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal skills as well as demonstrated
verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent planning, project management and problem solving skills.
• Knowledge of current and emerging web technologies and strategies (Agile
computing, Cloud computing, etc.)
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
• Master's degree in computer science with a specialization in web and
• Five (5) years development experience, including experience in higher
education or an academic research library or as a web developer.
• Knowledge of research library services and systems. Familiarity with
complexities/challenges in the world of search/retrieval/discovery of
New York University Libraries: Libraries at New York University serve the
school's 40,000 students and faculty and contain more than 5 million volumes.
The Libraries supports NYU's vision to become the first true Global Network
University by collaborating and providing services to our global academic
centers and "portal campuses" in Abu Dhabi and
Shanghai. New York University Libraries
is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the OCLC Research
Library Partnership, and the HathiTrust. The Libraries participates in a
variety of consortia and collaborates closely with Columbia University
Libraries and the New York Public Library through the Manhattan Research
Library Consortium. For the NYU Libraries Mission and Strategic Plan go to
Salary/Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience and background. NYU
offers a generous benefit package including 22 days of vacation annually.
To Apply: Interested candidates are requested to submit a letter of
application that specifically states how background and experiences are
relevant to the position responsibilities and qualifications; current resume;
and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three references.
Please apply through NYU's application management system. Please click on the
following link or copy and paste it onto your browser:
We accept online applications only.
NYU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/19761/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/