Linder Digital Archive Summer Fellowship
The HistoryMakers is pleased to announce The James A. Lindner Digital Archive
Summer Fellowship, in honor of James A. Lindner, for his leadership role in
the moving image archival profession, as well as his role in having the
Library of Congress serve as the permanent repository for The HistoryMakers
Collection. The James A. Lindner Digital Archive Summer Fellow should exhibit
a passion and commitment to working with digital moving image archives.
The purpose of The James A. Lindner Digital Archive Summer Fellowship is to
provide hands-on experience working with a one-of-a-kind digital video oral
history archive, and a professional and focused experience in archival work,
structured around processing and preservation of moving image archival
collections, migration and digitization, cataloging and archival descriptive
practices and standards. The James A. Lindner Digital Archive Summer
Fellowship is open to any individual who is interested in working with
collections of African American and/or video oral history materials and is a
recent graduate of a master's program in archival science, archival
management, digital archives, special collections, library science,
information management, computer science, or a related program prior to the
start date of the fellowship. Further application eligibility and guidelines
are outlined below.
The HistoryMakers is a growing and dynamic 501 (c)(3) not-for-profit
organization dedicated to creating an unprecedented national video oral
history archival institution recording the stories of both well-known and
unsung African American HistoryMakers. The goal is to record at least 5,000
oral history interviews and to expose this material to the public through
strategic media, technology, academic and community partnerships. In June
2014, the nation's foremost repository--the Library of Congress--announced
that it will serve as the permanent repositoryof The HistoryMakers collection.
Fellowship Duration: 10 weeks (Monday, June 1, 2015 - Friday, August 7, 2015)
Position Description: The James A. Lindner Digital Archive Summer Fellow's
primary tasks will include the arrangement, description and preservation of
The HistoryMakers Collection. The Fellow will help migrate digital footage,
enter metadata into The HistoryMakers FileMaker Pro database, and process The
HistoryMakers video oral history interviews, both analog and born-digital, as
well as captioning photographs and multimedia submissions. The Fellow will
gain valuable experience working with The HistoryMakers unique Digital Archive
and creating finding aids. The Fellow's duties will also include assisting in
digital curation and preparing descriptive, technical, and other metadata. The
Fellow will learn about employing best practices to ensure the long-term
availability and discoverability of the digital content in The
HistoryMakersCollection. The Fellow will work with FileMaker Pro as an
electronic resource for tracking and indexing collection materials online or
through other media. This includes managing the care and handling of born-
digital and analog collection materials yet to be digitized.
The requirements for consideration are:
* Citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
* GPA of 3.50 or higher.
* Recent graduate (within six months) of a master's program in archival science, archival management, digital archives, special collections, library science, information management, computer science, or a related program.
* Demonstrated interest in oral history interviews, archive administration and management. This interest can be demonstrated through academic coursework, volunteer or work experience, or through a personal statement in application essay.
* Demonstrated interest in African American history. This interest can be demonstrated through academic coursework, volunteer or work experience, or through a personal statement in application essay.
Lodging: Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of the fellow. Applicants
will be provided with information on local housing options upon acceptance as
The James A. Lindner Digital Archive Summer Fellow.
Submit the following for consideration:
* Cover letter stating your interest in the fellowship and your future career goals (please include an email address and a daytime telephone number).
* Essay or written statement (750 - 1000 words) addressing one or all of the following:
* What attracts you to The HistoryMakers archives (especially the Digital Archive) and/or the moving image profession;
* Your interest in African American history and/or oral history interviews; and/or,
* The importance of this fellowship to your future career.
* Resume or CV indicating your academic background, work experience, and volunteer service.
* Undergraduate and graduate transcript. Also include a printout of classes in which you are currently enrolled, if applicable.
* Three letters of recommendation.
Application Deadline: Friday, April 10, 2015
Submit application materials to:
The James A. Linder Digital Archive Summer Fellowship
1900 S Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60616
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/19981/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/