Digital Curation Librarian
Fort Hays State University
Forsyth Library, Fort Hays State University (FHSU) seeks a creative and
service-oriented colleague to build, curate, and promote the library's unique
digital collections and to partner with others across campus in a variety of
academic digital initiatives. The Digital Curation Librarian will work closely
with colleagues from the library, the university, and the regional cultural
heritage community to ensure that Forsyth Library's digital collections are
accessible and available for integration with teaching, research, and learning
and that collections contribute to an enlightened understanding of the history
of the university and of western Kansas. This position will join a team of
library staff committed to effectively manage and preserve distinctive
collections and provide access to archives in all formats. The Librarian will
also work with faculty, staff and students to incorporate a variety of
creative and scholarly works into a digital repository on the open web for
Duties and Responsibilities
The Digital Curation Librarian manages Forsyth Library's locally created
digital materials, taking a lead role in the creation, maintenance and
stewardship of digital collections, including the digitization of special
collections. This position provides strategies for effective management and
preservation of library digital assets and participates with colleagues in
conversations on scholarly communications, open education materials, and other
information systems that require connectivity or integration with digital
The successful candidate will establish priorities, manage projects, create
workflows and identify digital collection development opportunities as
informed by emerging trends and best practices in digital collection creation
and management. Working within Forsyth Library's distributed collection
analysis and development environment, this position facilitates communication
and workflows across Forsyth's various units and ensures that internal and
external stakeholders remain informed and engaged. This position is also
responsible for investigating, planning, and managing digital content format
conversions and migrations; promoting digital collections; seeking grant
funding for digital initiatives, and modeling innovative and flexible
solutions that meet the needs of FHSU's faculty, students and staff. This
position supervises students assigned to work on digital projects.
* American Library Association-accredited Master's degree (MA/MLS/MLIS/MIS).
* Experience managing digital projects.
* Knowledge of emerging best practices related to digital collections, curation, digital preservation, and the requisite technologies that support these practices.
* Experience using a variety of metadata standards used in digital collections (e.g., EAD, MODS, METS, VRA Core, Dublin Core).
* Familiarity with digital and metadata conversion technologies, digital object standards, and optimal workflows for curation.
* Ability to collaborate successfully within FHSU or vendor's technical staff responsible for scripting, programming and systems administration.
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively, cooperatively, and collaboratively with a variety of individuals and groups across an organization to accomplish initiatives.
* Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and implement projects.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills, especially for the purpose of describing standards and procedures.
* Comfortable working in an environment that embraces rapid change and collegiality.
* 2 or more years experience in building and curating digital collections in a digital repository service (e.g. ContentDM, DSpace, Islandora/Fedora, Digital Commons).
* Experience with XML.
* Knowledge of one or more scripting and/or programming languages, XSLT, HTML, XHTML, CSS and ADA guidelines.
* Familiarity with best practices relating to audio visual materials.
* Supervisory experience.
* Experience working directly with students and faculty.
* Experience with inter-institutional collaboration.
* Successful experience in grant writing and grant management.
* Experience working with digital repository systems.
FHSU invites candidates from diverse backgrounds who will contribute
affirmatively and creatively to the university's multicultural environment.
Our goal is for our employees to reflect the rich mix of backgrounds, life
experiences, cultures, perspectives and world views that is found within our
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/19568/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/