Application Programmers/Analysts (2 positions)
University of Michigan
**How to Apply**
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be
attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address
your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and
outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan Library is seeking two skilled programmers to help
create digital library systems and build efficient, automated workflows. The
successful candidates will work as part of a team of programmers, librarians,
and other experts on a major initiative to build a new digital library system
architecture and populate it with new forms of content. The new system will
make use of recent developments in the open source community and will handle a
wide array of materials: video, music, research data sets, historical records,
and more. This is an opportunity to join a skilled and forward-thinking group
and to gain experience with modern technologies that support web-based
research and archiving.
The University of Michigan Library is one of the world's largest academic
research libraries and serves a vibrant university community that is home to
19 schools and colleges, 100 top ten graduate programs, and annual research
expenditures approaching $1.5 billion a year. To enable the university's
world-changing work and to serve the public good, the library collects,
preserves, and shares the scholarly and cultural record in all existing and
emerging forms, and leads the reinvention of the academic research library in
the digital age.
The library is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and
encourages all employees to fully incorporate their diverse backgrounds,
skills, and life experiences into their work and towards the fulfillment of
the library's mission.
Note: These positions will be full-time, three-year term appointments with the
possibility of extension.
- Analyze business and user needs and design solutions involving computer systems and software
- Develop, debug, modify and maintain complex software systems
- Configure and customize open source software and engage in collaborative development activity - using modern tools and techniques
- Review system and software designs and prepare and conduct functional tests
- Create and maintain internal documentation
- Bachelor's degree in computer science and 3-5 years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated programming skills in a modern programming language.
- Experience working in a Linux environment.
- Experience and comfort working in groups.
- Understands and values diversity and the importance of inclusion as demonstrated through a commitment to apply and incorporate the differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization.
- Positive outlook and willingness to learn.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Experience with JRuby, Rails, MySQL, Perl, REST, XML and related technologies (ideally, for building data-driven web-based applications and data handling routines).
- Experience with version control (git and GitHub).
- Experience with test-driven development.
- Development experience (ideally, server and storage administration and security).
Excellent benefits, for details, see benefits.umich.edu/
Position receives 24 days of vacation a year, and 15 days of sick leave a year
with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for
professional development and travel. TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments
retirement options available.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be
removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting
period has ended.
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and
continue until the position is filled.
**U-M EEO/AA Statement**
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
**Job Opening ID**
Library Info Tech - Core Svcs
**Posting Begin/End Date**
1/30/2015 - 3/22/2015
$55,000.00 - $68,000.00
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/19832/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/