Reporting to the Associate Director of Public Services at the Center for
Science and Social Science Information, the GIS Librarian acquires and
provides support in the discovery, use, and management of locally created and
externally available GIS data and tools in collaboration with data librarians
and subject specialist librarians. The incumbent works with others to develop
scalable, sustainable, and domain-appropriate GIS services in support of
research at Yale. The Librarian is responsible for providing support for GIS
services through reference, research consultations, online help guides,
newsletters, and other outreach efforts. The incumbent provides a robust
program of GIS instruction and continuously develops workshops and online help
materials to keep pace with the latest software versions, online tools, and
techniques. The Librarian acts as the primary consultant for the current suite
of ESRI software and is responsible, in collaboration with other Library
staff, for optimizing functions for discovery and preservation of GIS data and
its associated metadata in library catalogs, data archives/repositories, and
similar systems. The incumbent provides assistance with global positioning
technology hardware and software and may assist with other research support
services. The GIS Librarian participates in library-wide committees and
workgroups as appropriate and contributes to research support and instruction
program planning and implementation in the Map Department, the Center for
Science and Social Science Information, and other units of the Library. The
GIS Librarian is responsible for staying abreast of the latest updates in GIS
accessibility, software, hardware, and analysis techniques and may represent
YUL to state, national and international GIS organizations.
Qualified individuals new to the library profession are welcome to apply.
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
* Master's degree from an ALA-accredited library school, or equivalent combination of relevant advanced degree and experience.
* Experience working collegially, collaboratively, and independently with varied groups, within and across a complex organization and a rapidly changing, team environment.
* Demonstrated ability with a variety of geospatial processing software. Demonstrated ability with the array of ESRI ArcGIS software including desktop, server, mobile, and online versions.
* Demonstrated ability with metadata for geospatial data and cartographic materials.
* Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver GIS instruction and research support services.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills; demonstrated analytical and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to design projects and bring them to a timely conclusion. Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
Yale University assigns ranks to librarian positions based on a combination of
professional experience and accomplishments (see range assigned to this
description as noted in the posting position title). Librarian ranking
information can be found at
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/19765/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/