Digital Library Programmer
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI
Digital Library Programmer, Librarian I
See job posting #1154 at [https://jobs.msu.edu/](https://jobs.msu.edu/) for
full description and application procedure.
MSU provides generous fringe benefits.
Reporting to the Head of the Digital and Multimedia Center, we are looking for
a creative Librarian who will plan, code, test, and implement technologies and
systems that promote and advance the Library's mission of preservation,
creation, transmission and application of knowledge. As part of a unified
team, the incumbent shall work with and through the G.M. Kline Digital and
Multi-media Center, Digital Curation, Collections, Systems and Public Service
staffs to further develop or enhance application design and functionality for
vendor supplied, open source or in-house applications, with an emphasis on
collection stewardship and discovery.
This librarian will participate approximately quarter-time in a secondary
assignment based on qualifications, interests and need; may include work in
areas such as cataloging, catalog services, reference, or collection
Librarians are appointed as regular faculty in the continuing appointment
system and are engaged in professional development and scholarly activities
related to their position in addition to serving on library and university
committees as elected or assigned.
Michigan State University Libraries serve more the 4,900 faculty, 36,000
undergraduates, and 11,000 graduate and professional students on a park-like
campus of over 5,000 acres. The Main Library and 4 branch libraries have
combined holdings of over 5 million volumes. East Lansing is a community of
50,000 located adjacent to Lansing, the State capital.
* Master's degree in information or library science from a program accredited by the American Library Association.
* Broad understanding of emerging trends in digital technologies and scholarship; experience with languages such as Python, PHP or Java and demonstrated facility with XML and database construction (e.g. MySQL);
* Advanced use of HTML, CSS;
* Knowledge of standards-based metadata schema;
* Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
* Ability to be flexible in a dynamic and changing environment;
* Ability to work effectively with diverse faculty, students, and staff;
* Ability to work independently and collaboratively;
* Ability to prioritize and balance various unit needs;
* Attention to detail.
As librarians are appointed as regular faculty in the continuous appointment
system, also required are preparation and commitment to conduct independent
scholarship consistent with a librarian appointment; and capacity and
commitment to engage independently in continuing professional development.
Familiarity with repository software technologies, especially Fedora Commons
and Islandora. Degree or coursework in Computer Science or allied field.
5pm on Wednesday, May 6, 2015
_Instructions to Applicants:_
Interested applicants should provide a letter of application, resume and
names, addresses and email addresses of 3 references to
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/20396/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/