Associate University Librarian for Digital Strategies
Northwestern University Library
As one of the portfolio leaders, the Associate University Librarian for
Digital Strategies (AULDS) advances the library's mission and contributes to
the achievement of library and university strategic goals within a highly
collaborative, user-focused, research and learning environment.
Managers of the following three work groups report directly to the AULDS:
Repository and Digital Content Management, Bibliographic Services and Platform
Management, IT Infrastructure.
The AULDS also provides leadership support and oversight for the digital
scholarship services working group. The AULDS collaborates with information
technology units throughout the university and with external organizations on
projects of interest to the library; and represents the library and/or the
university in meetings, groups, and forums as needed. For more information
about this position, please visit http://www.library.northwestern.edu/about
* Leads all phases of the life cycle of technology systems to support first‐class services and provide alignment with the business goals of the organization.
* Oversees systems and resources including Alma/Primo, a Fedora repository, a Hydra partnership and other open source platforms in a mixed Linux/Windows environment, using Agile project management methodology and service-oriented architecture.
* Develops methods for risk profile, gap and budgetary analysis to determine the diversification and investments in technology.
* Applies IT resource management towards new capabilities to support and enable strategic initiatives while reducing investments in legacy systems and outmoded business processes.
* Engages in campus and external collaborations and partnerships to foster innovative new services and reduce redundancy in infrastructure services and system investments.
* Helps implement a new organizational structure that features 16 working groups organized into three service councils. The AULDS also will be a key participant in a new senior management group - the planning council -- comprising one representative from each of the service councils, the other AULs, the director of human resources and organizational development, and the dean. As a member of the planning council, the AULDS will actively lead or participate in a wide range of planning and decision-making activities.
* Assists the dean in managing and administering all aspects of the library's mission. Along with four other AULs, the AULDS will also directly advise, support, and represent the dean and will carry out specific administrative and management assignments as assigned or necessary.
* ALA accredited master's degree in library or information science or the equivalent combination of education and relevant library or academic technologies experience required. Additional advance degree preferred.
* Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience leading information technology operations in an academic research library or leading IT or digital initiatives in an academic setting and/or in a library services organization.
* Demonstrated expertise in providing leadership to create and promote a clear vision; experienced decision-maker at an executive level; ability to sell ideas and follow through on decisions.
* Demonstrated expertise in supervising, developing, and coaching information technology professionals.
* Knowledge and understanding of automated library systems and services issues, digital preservation and repository issues to support planning, development and project management.
* Demonstrated ability to bring innovative and complex projects to completion, especially for projects requiring collaboration across library departments, and academic and administrative divisions across the university.
* Awareness of current trends in digital and IT strategies environment.
Send PDF formatted letter of application, resume or vita, and names of three
references to the attention of Jan Hayes, Personnel Librarian, electronically
to [log in to unmask] Applications received by May 4, 2015 will
receive first consideration.
_Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/20690/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/