User Experience Librarian
Texas Tech University
This tenure-track position reports directly to the Associate Dean for
Resources Management and Library Systems. Responsible for coordinating the
Libraries' user experience efforts, for both the online and physical library
environments. This new position will work to develop
relationships with the Libraries various user communities and utilize
information gathered from these relationships to identify and prioritize the
user needs as they pertain to the libraries. Working
collaboratively, the UX Librarian will be responsible for the development and
implementation of programming, activities and projects designed to improve the
overall user experience of the libraries. They are expected to participate in
local, regional and national organizations as appropriate.
As a library faculty member, the UX Librarian is expected to participate in
professional development, research and service activities in order to meet the
Libraries and University requirements for promotion and tenure.
* Use skills and knowledge concerning user requirements, usability methodology, focus group methodology, survey methods and basic analytics/statistics to understand the user experience and report changes needed to improve customer experiences with library services and spaces.
* Take the lead in creating an organizational culture that supports UX design as it is about making direct improvement to the library.
* Collaborate with the Web Librarian, the Libraries Website Team, and the Systems Team and any other entities involved in user assessment activities to analyze the Libraries services and spaces and provide input for user-centered enhancement and user assessment processes.
* Create and coordinate library advisory groups representing the various library stakeholders.
* Identify and evaluate all the ways the campus constituencies interact with the library and create an approach to the full spectrum of library experiences including those involving staff.
* Maintains a broad knowledge of operating systems, programming languages and software.
* Ensure that the library has all the information needed to make user research-based decisions.
* Design and engage in activities to understand what kinds of work the faculty, graduate and undergraduate students need to and how they want to do it.
* Organize and carry out user focused research using various techniques to alter existing services or create new services as a direct result of the findings of the research.
* Conduct effective UX research with different groups and stakeholders around the institution.
* Identify and promoting the use of new and innovative technologies, and working to ensure that adopted technologies are functional, efficient, and intuitive.
* Utilize user input to collaborate on and contribute to the creation, development and implementation of innovative projects and services available through the TTU Libraries websites, content management systems and digital repositories.
* Stay abreast of trends related to user-centered design, the development of digital library interface capabilities, website enhancements and usability in libraries.
* Engage in scholarly pursuits and other professional activities in accordance with Texas Tech Libraries' standards for promotion and tenure.
QUALIFICATIONS: Required: Master's degree in Library Science from an ALA
accredited program. Preferred: Solid understanding of
academic library services and enthusiasm for creating excellent experiences in
both physical and virtual environments for all library
customers. Excellent oral and written communication skills
with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in multiple formats and
to diverse audiences. Ability to summarize complex findings and present
results of assessment activities. Experience with integrated library and
discovery systems. Academic library experience. Project management skills;
time management skills essential. Energy and enthusiasm for
user-focused design and commitment to constantly update skills and techniques.
Experience with library statistics collection and analysis.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/20661/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/