Research Support and Digital Services Librarian
New York City
The Columbia University Libraries invites nominations and applications for the
position of Research Support and Digital Services Librarian at the Watson
Library of Business and Economics.
The Research Support and Digital Services Librarian will provide general and
in-depth research support in the areas of business and economics. As a member
of a team, the Librarian is primary staff member responsible for liaising with
vendors to acquire databases in business and economics; this includes
negotiating licenses and prices. The incumbent will also take the lead for
providing outreach to MBA and EMBA students including the creation of online
The Research Support and Digital Services Librarian actively engages vendors
and works to ensure that the Watson Library has appropriate resources to meet
the research, teaching, and learning needs of faculty and students. This
includes reviewing usage data on a regular basis, consulting with faculty and
students about their needs, and staying abreast of new and developing
The Librarian will work with colleagues in the Social Sciences Libraries
division to provide coordinated support for using resources across the social
science disciplines. This position will report to the Head of the Watson
Library of Business and Economics.
The Watson Library of Business and Economics' collections and services
directly support research and teaching in the Columbia Business School and the
Department of Economics. The Watson Library actively supports other schools
and departments on campus as they intersect with business and economics,
including the Department of Mathematics, Department of Statistics, the School
of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and the School of International and
The Watson Library has a collection of over 400,000 books and over 1,000
journal titles. Special focus is placed on the topics of accounting,
economics, business history, management of organizations, corporate and
international finance, and money and financial markets. Watson also has an
extensive collection of historical annual reports and SEC filings. Research
help is provided mostly through consultations; librarians are also on call
during the day for quick research help. For more information about the Watson
Library, see http://library.columbia.edu/business.
One of the world's leading research universities, Columbia provides
outstanding opportunities to work and grow in a unique intellectual community.
Set in the Morningside Heights academic village, Columbia also presents the
unmatched dynamism, diversity and cultural richness of New York City. The
University Libraries, grounded in collections of remarkable depth and breadth,
are also building extensive electronic resources and services. The Libraries
at Columbia are committed to collegiality, professionalism, innovation and
We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and excellent
Minimum Degree Required: MLS or PhD or equivalent
All applicants MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered for the
- Excellent analytical, organizational, oral and written communications and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with resources used in business and economics research.
- Strong public service orientation
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and cooperatively within and across organizations.
- Familiarity with academic research process.
- Ability to work independently with varied user groups in a complex organization and function collaboratively in a rapidly changing team environment.
- Additional advanced degree in a related social sciences discipline such as business, statistics, economics, etc.
- 1-3 years of academic library experience.
- Data literacy and ability to work with data
- Knowledgeable in the issues surrounding scholarly communications and data management planning.
- Familiarity with library acquisition workflows.
- Experience dealing with licenses and vendors.
- Experience providing outreach to graduate students.
- Knowledge of instructional software tools, Web2.0 and web services
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/20194/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/