Web Architect and Manager
Reporting to the Public Relations and Marketing Manager, this position is
responsible for management of the Virginia Tech Libraries' website, including
design, development, maintenance and information architecture. The Web
Architect and Manager (WA&M) coordinates and facilitates the development of
access to web content and services from library units. The position also
assesses new standards, technologies and trends, and formulates strategies and
plans for enhancing the Libraries websites.
The person holding this position also coordinates ongoing usability testing,
analytics reporting and other assessments. The WA&M also provides leadership
for the Website Team, which works closely across library units and with the
WA&M on issues of web content management, planning, usability and overall web
To advance in these areas, the position will:
* Organize information according to the needs and priorities of library units in accordance with user behavior and the library communication strategy.
* Prepare user scenarios, workflow diagrams, storyboards and other organizational elements as needed.
* Implement web architecture by preparing mockups including page layout and navigation, and coordinating with web development and creative services teams to integrate with marketing strategy, maintaining University Standards, visual design and usability goals.
* Collaborate with library units to determine needs for content and structure to effectively communicate unit-specific resources and services.
* Develop a content strategy for delivering, governing and maintaining usable web content.
* Work as part of the creative services team, with a priority on communicating the library brand and accurate messaging to reflect the evolving nature of the library, with a goal of engaging the community of potential and current users.
* Practice a commitment to diversity within the organization and academic community, ensuring that all communications are timely and transparent.
Bachelor's degree and extensive experience managing the design, development
and architecture of large scale websites. Knowledge of and familiarity with
coding and programming of websites enabling effective project management and
direction. Experience with graphic design software. Understanding of cross-
browser issues, validation, accessibility, and web standards. Background in
digital initiatives or database-backed dynamic websites. Strong commitment to
responsive and innovative service, and a desire to master new technologies and
remain current. Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment with
varying levels of technological expertise, as well as to make technology
understandable and appealing to employees and users. Excellent analytical,
critical thinking and troubleshooting skills. Demonstrated experience in
leading a large-scale web redesign and information architecture overhaul.
Excellent knowledge of, proficiency in, or comfort working on projects
* Adobe software (including but not limited to): Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, etc.
* Graphic Design
* Working knowledge of content management systems
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Excellent organizational and project management skills
* Experience in translating user needs into web functions
* Experience in assisting library users with online resources in an academic library
* Education and training in information architecture
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/20274/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/