Senior Systems Administrator
BC Libraries Cooperative
The [BC Libraries Cooperative](http://bc.libraries.coop/)
is a national social enterprise with nearly 200 member libraries and related
organizations across Canada. Our mission is to help libraries help people, by
making it easier and more affordable for libraries to access the technology,
ideas, content and expertise they need to deliver services to users. We have a
deep commitment to the principle of all things open - it lays at the heart of
our operations, strategies and philosophy: https://bc.libraries.coop/open/
The Co-op is seeking a full-time (35 hours/week) **Senior System
The Co-op's main hosting environment is located in Vancouver, BC though it's
workforce is distributed. Candidates from the Lower Mainland are preferred
though we may consider other arrangements.
This position is responsible for network support, maintenance and improvement
of the Co-op's server infrastructure, as well as the troubleshooting of issues
relating to operating systems. The Senior Systems Administrator provides
advice to senior management on network, hardware and systems architecture,
including input on buy versus build decisions and impacts on business
processes and goals. Performs capacity planning for all supported systems
infrastructure and carries out regular performance and trend analysis.
In addition, the Senior Systems Administrator is responsible for managing and
maintaining the phone system, backups and replication, software and hardware
upgrades, mail servers and other key enterprise applications.
The position requires the following core skills:
* minimum of 5 years experience with Linux system administration using an enterprise-level distribution, Ubuntu Server or Debian distribution, preferably
* experience managing mid-sized VM environment with OpenStack or Ganetti
* experience with distributed object storage systems (CEPH)
* experience with Icinga and Nagios monitoring applications or equivalent
* experience with configuration management (i.e. Puppet)
* experience managing, securing and configuring the network (DNS, OSPF, BGP routing, firewalls, load balancing) for a mid-sized enterprise hosting environment
* experience with hardware lifecycle planning, specification and costing
* Bachelor of Computing Science, Engineering or Physics or significant coursework towards same; an equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
* willing and available for on-call (after hours) and some weekend rotations.
* experience working in a team to provide 24x7 support.
* ability to self-direct and manage stress
* a sense of humour
* ability to communicate technical information clearly and concisely
In addition, the following would also be an asset:
* familiarity with RDBMS (PostgreSQL preferred)
* experience with Perl programming and Bash scripting
* experience working in or with library organizations
The position is competitively compensated and comes with a generous benefits
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume in PDF
format to [log in to unmask] no later than **May 29, 2015**.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only shortlisted candidates will
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/20329/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/