*** Apologies for cross posting ***
Metadata Management / Cataloging Librarian
The University of California, Santa Barbara is one of ten campuses that comprise the University of California system and is a member of the exclusive Association of American Universities (AAU). In addition, the University Library at UC Santa Barbara is a member of the prestigious Association of Research Libraries (ARL). In service to the campusí distinguished research mission, the University Library is seeking a Metadata Management / Cataloging Librarian, to provide experienced leadership in planning and managing library metadata quality assurance and authority control activities in the Library. This newly-created position will work to ensure the metadata quality and data integrity in the Library catalog and Alexandria Digital Research Library (ADRL), and actively participate in conventional cataloging and the Libraryís NACO activities.
Reporting to the Head, Cataloging & Metadata Services (CMS), the Metadata Management / Cataloging Librarian is responsible for initiating and directing authority control, metadata quality control, and bibliographic database problem resolution to ensure metadata and authority records meet local and national standards. The incumbent works closely with other library staff to establish and document relevant policies, procedures, and efficient workflows to support the discovery of and access to the Libraryís bibliographic and digital content in the Library Catalog and Alexandria Digital Research Library through metadata quality assurance, enrichment, and maintenance according to local and national cataloging and metadata standards. In addition, actively participates in creating or modifying NACO authority records and other name identifier records. As a part of the catalogersí learning community in the Library, the incumbent provides training to staff in database maintenance and data quality control. Participates in original cataloging of print/digital materials in a variety of formats, and provides descriptive metadata for digital collections as needed. The incumbent will also coordinate quality control projects for non-MARC metadata from digital collections and supervise staff, as needed.
* Masterís degree from an ALA accredited program or foreign equivalent.
* Minimum two years of professional cataloging experience. Professional understanding and knowledge of cataloging procedures and principles, including but not limited to: RDA, AACR2, LC/PCC PS, LCRIs, LC classification, LCSH, MARC21 bibliographic and authority formats.
* Professional understanding and knowledge of non-MARC metadata schemas, standards, best practices, and their applications, such as Dublin Core, EAD, VRA Core, MODS, METS, MADS, etc.
* Familiarity with name authority/identifier schemas, such as NACO, ORCID, ISNI, etc.
* Working knowledge and experience with data processing and transformations of XML records using XSLT or other technologies.
* Demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately in a service and production-oriented environment, and to adapt to a fast paced rapidly changing environment.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with diverse constituents.
* Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
* Experience managing authority control processes and/or vendor services.
* Familiarity with batch loading, editing, crosswalking of metadata records using tools, such as MarcEdit, Oxygen XML Editor.
* Familiarity with ALEPH ILS.
* Reading knowledge of one or more foreign languages.
* Experience and ability to provide cataloging-related training to staff members.
* Experience working directly with software programmers on development projects.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Librarians at the University of California, Santa Barbara are professional academic appointees who accrue vacation at the rate of two days per month and sick leave at the rate of one day per month. The University has an excellent retirement system which is coordinated with Social Security. A selection of group health, dental, vision, and life insurance plans are offered by the University.
The incumbent will be a member of the LX Collective Bargaining Unit represented by the American Federation of Teachers.
* This position will remain open until filled with primary consideration of applications received by April 24, 2015.
* Applications will be accepted online through UC Recruit: https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/apply/JPF00455.
* Help for UC Recruit is available at https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/help/applicants.
* For additional assistance, contact Ryan George with Library Human Resources at (805) 893-3841 or [log in to unmask]
* Appointment and/or continued employment is contingent on successful completion of a background check.
The Library is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through work, research, and service. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by law including protected Veterans and individuals with disabilities.
University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9010
[log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe from the DLF-ANNOUNCE list:
write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link: