University Systems Librarian, Digital Initiatives
City University of New York
New York City
Manages one or more aspects of the University's Library technology and
* Analyzes, specifies, and implements systems improvements and processes
* Conducts design and setup activities supporting University-wide Library systems and databases; assists in implementing upgrades and new systems
* Develops and manages procedures related to quality assurance for University Library systems; revises and maintains complex configuration tables
* Monitors Library applications and databases
* Creates, prepares, and analyzes reports on systems activities
* Works collaboratively with the Office of Library Services, Computer Information Services, library staffs, and vendors to refine workflows and develop useful systems tools
* Performs related duties as assigned.
University Library Systems Manager
Higher Education Associate
**CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION**
The Office of Library Services (OLS) at the Central Administrative Office of
CUNY supports the libraries at the University's 24 campuses to coordinate and
enhance library services for students and faculty in partnership with campus
librarians. OLS Library Systems team supports a large portfolio of enterprise
library applications and services that support digital repository services,
and discovery and access services, and collection management. Systems include
CUNY Academic Works (Digital Commons Institutional Repository Service), the
CUNY Catalog (Aleph integrated library system), CUNY OneSearch (Primo
discovery system), SFX (link server and electronic journals discovery tool),
EZProxy (remote authentication system), Coral (electronic resources management
system), and others.
The Office seeks a University Systems Librarian specializing in Digital
Initiatives to provide technical expertise and guidance for CUNY's cloud-based
Institutional Repository, digital collections and shared responsibility for
CUNY's discovery service.
Reporting to the University Director of Library Systems, the Digital
Initiatives Librarian will focus on data, platform, and workflow integration
and interoperability, metadata extraction, transformation, and reuse,
analytics and reporting, search strategies and services, and problem diagnosis
Key responsibilities include, but will not be limited to: managing the
technical aspects of CUNY Academic Works; configuring CUNY digital collections
as data sources and normalization rules to support associated encoding schemes
(DC, EAD, provenance data, etc.) for discovery in OneSearch; implementing
discovery web and X-services for external search service integrations,
metadata harvesting and reuse, and user interface redesign and development;
determining strategies for integration of thesauri and linked open data in
search applications such as the CUNY Academic Works institutional repository
and our discovery service.
Bachelor's Degree and six years' related experience required; MLS degree
and/or Master's in a related field may be substituted for a portion of the
The ideal candidate will have the following experience, knowledge, skills and
* Master's degree from an American Library Association (ALA)-accredited school is strongly preferred and may be accepted for up to two years of the required six years of experience
* At least five years' experience managing or supporting integrated library systems including digital asset management/repository and search applications.
* Experience with Ex Libris solutions preferred.
* Thorough knowledge of current and emerging library technologies, standards, workflows, and best practices.
* Demonstrated knowledge of descriptive, administrative, and technical metadata formats and standards.
* Knowledge of intellectual property rights and open access policies and trends, as well as web development methodologies, tools and best practices.
* Proactive, flexible, and customer focused with strong interpersonal skills to effectively explain complex technical issues and processes to non-technical audiences.
* Detail oriented and accurate with strong analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving and research skills.
* Effective writing, editing and presentation skills.
* Strong project management, organizational and follow-through skills to coordinate work plans, prioritize work, manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
* Ability to work productively as an individual contributor and collaboratively as a team member in a fast-paced, customer responsive and team-oriented office.
* Intermediate computer proficiency using administrative and academic systems, databases and programs.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible
dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered
pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees
must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health
benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the
**HOW TO APPLY**
For full consideration, submit a cover letter and resume online via CUNY's
web-based job system, addressing how your experience and credentials fulfill
the responsibilities and qualifications outlined.
The direct link to the job opening from external sources is:
June 1, 2015
**JOB SEARCH CATEGORY**
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
**EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY**
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively
encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to
apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and
continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/20797/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/