Technology Innovation Librarian
Nebraska Library Commission
To introduce libraries to new and useful technologies in order to improve
library services by increasing the skills, knowledge, abilities, and self-
reliance of libraries when dealing with technology-related issues and
challenges; to actively pursue solutions that can be applied to technology-
related issues. Work is performed independently under general supervision.
Reports to the Technology and Access Services Director.
* Functions as an active member of the Technology and Access Services team to explore cooperative activities and approaches to Department goals; function as an active member of the Nebraska Library Commission in its efforts to reach Commission goals.
* Works with the Computer Team in the maintenance of WordPress installations for the Nebraska Libraries on the Web participants, maintenance off training equipment and the need for new equipment.
* Works with Library Development Team on helping Nebraska library staff with technology-related questions and projects and teaching technology-related courses in Basic Skills.
* Works with other Commission staff to seek and to develop methods leading to improved technology in libraries statewide.
* Works cooperatively with the four regional library Systems as well as with the Nebraska Library Association and other entities to attain Commission goals related to technology.
* Works with Nebraska library and media center staff on technology issues in training sessions, conferences, and individually via e-mail or telephone.
* Plans, coordinates, and provides online and face-to-face training to Nebraska library and media center staff on technology-related skills, with the goal of improving public access computing and library services in general.
* Provides training and support on WordPress to Nebraska library staff participating in Nebraska Libraries on the Web. Writes regular blog posts for the Nebraska Libraries on the Web web site updating participants on changes, features, and events. Works with Commission computer team members to maintain, update and troubleshoot the hosted software.
* Provides training and consultation concerning "soft skills" such as the effective use of the Internet, Web 2.0 applications, and other electronically-related resources.
* Keeps up with technology-related library issues and new technology generally and interpret such technologies to Nebraska library and media center staff as possible solutions to state-wide technology challenges through training and other means of communication including blog posts from the Commission's main web site.
* Serves on grant committees and ad hoc technology groups to provide knowledge and expertise on computer and technology-related issues.
* Makes recommendations on state-wide technology-related issues and challenges for the consideration of the Commission.
* Other duties as assigned; some travel may be required.
* A general qualification guideline for positions in this classification is a Master's degree in Library and Information Science from an American Library Association-accredited program, plus experience in professional library/information work which is applicable to the knowledge, skills, and abilities required.
* Preferred: 2-3 years professional consulting experience and/or instructional experience with library and communications-related technology. Substantial experience in working with staff from small rural libraries.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
* Knowledge and general understanding of library issues including library technology, libraries' purposes, services, and customers.
* Demonstrate well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills related to computers, especially PCs, and current technologies.
* Ability to plan, organize, coordinate, and/or deliver instruction and/or presentations to diverse audiences.
* Knowledge of web site software such as WordPress.
* Ability to write cogent emails, blog posts, articles and other various communications.
* Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal skills.
* Valid Nebraska driver's license.
Full time permanent position (40 hours weekly) Monday through Friday, 8-5.
Desired starting date: June 22, 2015
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/20924/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/