Software Developer (Half-time, telecommuting)
Massachusetts Library Network Cooperative (MassLNC)
**Job Title:** Software Developer (Half-time,
**Organization: **Massachusetts Library Network Cooperative (MassLNC)
The Software Developer will primarily be responsible for developing new
features and fixing bugs for the Evergreen Integrated Library System (ILS) to
support the needs of three Massachusetts library consortia using Evergreen.
S/he will work on a variety of projects to enhance user
experience and improve workflows. The Software Developer will also work
closely with the highly-collaborative open-source community that supports
Evergreen. This position reports directly to the MassLNC Project Coordinator.
The successful candidate will be able to work independently, learn quickly,
and show a willingness to reach out to a large community for help and feedback
on development projects. S/he should be able to work with people at all
levels, including non-technical staff. Strong analytical, communication, and
collaborative skills are critical for the success of this job.
This position offers a great work/life balance and flexible work hours. This
is a 20-hour-per-week telecommuting position with benefits on a prorated
basis. The successful candidate must maintain a designated work area to
perform their MassLNC duties. A telecommuting allowance will be provided to
offset some telecommunication expenses.
**Essential Duties and Responsibilities:**
* Updates and adds new functionality to the Integrated Library System. Performs other updates or functional enhancements to the system as directed.
* Creates patches to fix software bugs.
* Provides automated tests with new code that integrates with community tools.
* Translates functional requirements for a project into technical design and development.
* Collaborates with the MassLNC development team and the Evergreen community at all stages of the development process.
* Contributes to technical design and progress meetings.
* Revises development projects as appropriate to respond to changing needs and requirements.
* Engages with the larger Evergreen community by attending regular online developer meetings; participating in virtual and in-person community events, such as hackfests, bug squashing days, and conferences; and contributing to discussions on Evergreen listservs and IRC channels.
* Experience with relational database software such as PostgreSQL, MySQL or similar products.
* Working knowledge of XML, HTML, and other web-related markup languages.
* Experience with version control systems, like Git or SVN
* Experience in web development frameworks, preferably Template Toolkit, AngularJS, and Dojo.
* Familiarity with Evergreen
* Familiarity with public or academic library operations and standards.
* Experience working in free/libre/open source software (FLOSS) communities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be
met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required
to operate a computer. The employee is frequently required
to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time. Specific vision
abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust
The work is performed primarily in a remote location maintained by the
employee. However, some national and international travel
may be required to attend professional conferences and
**Starting Salary: **$30-35 per hour, depending on experience
Send an e-mail with cover letter and resume to MassLNC Project Coordinator
Kathy Lussier at [log in to unmask] Review of applications will begin on
May 26, 2015.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/20761/
To post a new job please visit http://jobs.code4lib.org/